Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Firmware upate over USB - unplug powerbars before!

Quote Originally Posted by Matthias View Post
    Hi Ken
    many thanks your your hints - I think this was an important discovery

it seems the USB connection is disturbed when the sockets are deactivated during the update, maybe the switching off of the connected devices cause electromagnetic distrubances which are large enough to jam the USB connection.

Could you try an update over USB when the powerbar is disconnected?
    I did as you requested and I am happy to report that firmware "p" successfully uploaded using usb to usb with the digital powerbar disconnected. YEAH!

Ken

Ausrufezeichen

Wow - that is what we expected - it seems the solution is found

I think this happened to you (and some other users having problems with updates over USB):
    - during the update the powerbar switches off the sockets (after 30s this will happen due to security reasons)
    - when switching off the connected devices a voltage peak in the main line occurs
    - this results in disturbances in the USB line -> ProfiLuxControl can`t communicate with ProfiLux and that`s ist - update failed

Why does this only happen in some cases - why are other customers able to update successfully?
    I believe there are 2 reasons:
    1. this depends on the load which is switched off during the update - a chiller or MH ballast will cause much electrical noise, a simple solenoid won`t
    2. a notebook can be disturbed easier than a desktop PC - because the PC is grounded and electromagnetic noise is forwarded to PE (protecting earth)

Bottomline:
    Before updating the ProfiLux firmware with USB you should unplug the control lines between ProfiLux and the powerbars and wait until they switched to the "no connection state"!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Good View Post
    I think that I would dispute this at this point. At least I would say that it is a compatibility issue with Windows XP and the profilux usb cord. The connection is still a rs232 connection but is using a usb conversion on both ends. Just my 2 cents.
    i must agree

S
    Last edited by steviek; 07.04.2010 at 14:02.

I can happily confirm that since this update I have not had one single support case for connectivity in 2 days.

problem resolved

GHL ProfiLux Canada/USA Distribution and support

Quote Originally Posted by aqua_digital View Post
    I can happily confirm that since this update I have not had one single support case for connectivity in 2 days.

problem resolved
    This is great news! Congratulations. I hope you did not just jinx yourself.

Ken

I reed this and just update my 3ex to 5p.

Plug & play, many thanks guys!
    Last edited by almost; 12.04.2010 at 20:06.

Worlds most gadget Aquarium.. almost.