Thread: KHD siphon waste water from drain?

Default KHD siphon waste water from drain?

Hello.

When I checked my KHD today I noticed some odd measurements and went to check on the machine.

All hoses where filled with water and I couldnt empty them. Found out that the waste hose was placed in the drain. Probably beneath waterline. Pulled it up and the machine was able to empty as normal.

My question.

IF the waste line was below surface of my drain would that mean KHD siphoned water from the drain inside the KHD and then also back into the aquarium?

Feeling nervous about this.

Hello,

It is not normally possible for water to returnto KHD from the Wast outlet. The peristaltic pump prevents this.
    On the other hand, the ventilation tube at the rear must not be able to suck in water under any circumstances, so it must be placed high enough.

Gaël
    No support or warranty issues over PM!
    Please send PMs to the moderators only if you have general problems with using the forum! Thanks for helping us to keep the support efficient.

Creating a support ticket
    For support or warranty issues, create a support ticket by clicking here.

Quote Originally Posted by Gael View Post
    Hello,

It is not normally possible for water to returnto KHD from the Wast outlet. The peristaltic pump prevents this.
    On the other hand, the ventilation tube at the rear must not be able to suck in water under any circumstances, so it must be placed high enough.

Gaël
    Sorry for bad english / explanation.

I ment the tube going from the back. What would happen if that was beneath the water line?

I think that the hose from the back may have fallen down into the drain and submerged into the water in the drain.

The instruction manual clearly states that the rear tube must NOT be able to draw in water.
    Please make the necessary adjustments.

Gaël
    Please send PMs to the moderators only if you have general problems with using the forum! Thanks for helping us to keep the support efficient.

Hello again.

I checked the test log and it seems like this have been a problem the last three tests. My sample volume is set to 100 ml.

If this means that around 400 ml drain water have been sucked back into the aquarium that would be estimated to 1,5 / 10000 part of my entire water volume.

What do you recommend I do further?

Quote Originally Posted by Gael View Post
    The instruction manual clearly states that the rear tube must NOT be able to draw in water.
    Please make the necessary adjustments.

Gaël
    I know this.. I was not intentional.

It had fallen down somehow. I have the waste and ventilation hose placed up on a grid over the drain. When I looked today it had found it's way into one of the holes in the grid.

Is there something I should do to prevent contamination/pollution for the aquarium or the probe?

Nobody knows what would happen if the vent hose was submerged?

Will it siphon water back to the aquarium?

Non it will not siphon water back to the aquarium