Thread: Optimal lighting setup for 54x30x24 tank

Frage Optimal lighting setup for 54x30x24 tank

I am starting up a new 54x30x24” reef tank. Since it is an oddball size (based on wall constraints), I am seeking guidance on the optimal # and orientation of Mitras 7206 lights.

2 - Parallel with length - possibly not reaching the back?
    2 - Perpendicular to length, with less on each end?
    Hopefully the answer is not 3… $$$

Screenshot 2023-08-24 at 8.22.47 PM.jpg

Also, if I were to install 2 Parallel with the length, if I set them closer together to avoid the overspill on the edges, would that cause issues with to much light right in the center? -or can you control segment of the LEDs to compensate for the overlap?

May be dumb questions, but I want to set this up right from the beginning as I am designing custom light mounts with 8020.net extruded bars, so it makes a difference on parallel vs. perpendicular as well as 2 versus 3.

Input would be much appreciated.

You can average out 2 lx 7206 at this tank size actually nice, with longitudinal mounting. I see no problems there.
    With 2 LX it is perhaps a little on the border. Of course, it also depends on how your reef setup is, and your stocking. The tank is well lit with 2 LX, and at the size with ~0.5Watt/liter also sufficient. "Light-hungry" SPS you should mount a little higher, and if possible in the middle of the 2 lights.

regards Pit

Curious if you would supplement front and/or back with a Lightbar(s)? Seems as if the spread on a 30” front to back is pushing it for the 2 LX 7206’s in this longitudinal mounting?? I do like the idea of the hybrid set-ups.

Seems as if the spread on a 30” front to back is pushing it for the 2 LX 7206’s in this longitudinal mounting?? I do like the idea of the hybrid set-ups.
    That fits already so

The aquarium would actually be nicely illuminated with 2 LX. However, you can also make a mix. The adjustment will then be a little more difficult.
    Alternatively you can also take 4 Lightbars 130. e.g. 2x actinic, 2x deep actinic or 4 deep actinic (more blue). But then you need 2 PSU with 200W each and an Active Splitter, suitable for your Profilux (RJ45 or RS232) The Lightbars do not work self-sufficiently, but should not be a problem with a Profilux.
    regards Pit

Hi,

For that size, you can do 2x 7206 positioned parallel to the length of the tank. This will give you the most coverage over the length. Depending on what types of coral you plan to keep, you may benefit from mounting the lights higher to get some more coverage at the front and back of the tank.

If space and design allows, you can add additional lighting via Lightbar2 if you plan to heavily stock the tank.
    No support or warranty issues over PM!
    Please send PMs to the moderators only if you have general problems with using the forum! Thanks for helping us to keep the support efficient.

Creating a support ticket
    For support or warranty issues, create a support ticket by clicking here.

Thanks for the reply. I plan to make a custom mount with 80/20 extruded T-slot so I will have lost of flexibility on raising/lowering lights and adjusting front to back as well.