Thread: 0-10v dimming channels - true analog or PWM simulating analog output?

Default 0-10v dimming channels - true analog or PWM simulating analog output?

As the title states, are the 0-10v outputs on the Profi true analog dimming channels or is there a 10v PWM output that simulates analog output?

The reason I'm asking is I'm trying to figure out how to get more than 3 Meanwell drivers for LED's on each 0-10v dimming channel. I have posted a circuit question over on nano-reef forums and evilc66 (LED guru) has suggested that I would need to know this before trying to create a circuit to do what I need. He suggested I could use a MOSFET if the P3 uses a 10v PWM output to simulate analog 0-10v ...

The profilux outputs a real 1-10v line so no need for a PWM, but you will need a D series driver

Quote Originally Posted by boboxx View Post
    The profilux outputs a real 1-10v line so no need for a PWM, but you will need a D series driver
    Apparently a 0-10v output can be a true analog and a "simulated" analog with PWM. Either way you will get 0-10v. In order to amplify it's capacity I will have to know how it is created, as far as I can tell ...

can't you use this to drive ? alot of meanwells ?

ActiveL-Splitter

=> that's made to run the LED on the net instead of the profilux
    if you look @ its made to run max 1,2 A and it has 4 L port connectors
    and since it made to run the simu sticks it must output 1-10 V and it must be controlable from the profilux ?

http://www.aquariumcomputer.com/Syst...er_300x263.png

Thanks. Matthias does post there about it being a PWM with analog filters. Didn't catch that ...

Hopefully someone from Profilux can chime in? I'm afraid if I can't get something to work, I won't be able to build the light setup that I had planned. There must be a solution ...

Quote Originally Posted by Blahenazo View Post
    can't you use this to drive ? alot of meanwells ?

ActiveL-Splitter

=> that's made to run the LED on the net instead of the profilux
    if you look @ its made to run max 1,2 A and it has 4 L port connectors
    and since it made to run the simu sticks it must output 1-10 V and it must be controlable from the profilux ?

http://www.aquariumcomputer.com/Syst...er_300x263.png
    That's a good thought. I just don't know how that would work, though. The LED's are dimmed by varying current level and not voltage as far as I can tell. The voltage output is probably specific to the total forward voltage of the LED's in the Simu packages. Even if I did figure out the wires in the "western plug" I'm not sure 0-10v output would be there ...

Hopefully someone from Profilux can help in regards to this.

I don't 'know' either.

I just tought that the active splitter could be a good 'active' splitter for meanwells drivers you still need to use the D meanwell's

not that wont work, there is one for controling a fan also and I was told it was'nt good for LED

Quote Originally Posted by boboxx View Post
    not that wont work, there is one for controling a fan also and I was told it was'nt good for LED
    ok,
    (sorry be be annoying )
    but what's the difference then ? if a 'normal' L poort works to drive a meanwell , Why wouldn't a active splitter work ? They must output the same signal otherwise it can't work.