Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Password for email server settings limited to 16 characters

  1. #1
    Join Date
    12.05.2010
    Posts
    343

    Ausrufezeichen Password for email server settings limited to 16 characters

    Hi,

    Im trying to setup my iCloud account to be used for email notifications. iCloud automatically creates app-specific passwords which are 19 characters long.

    However, in MyGHL, the password field is limited to 16 characters only.

    Could this please be updated in the next firmware release.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    10.10.2013
    Posts
    511

    Default

    Hi,

    No, I do not think so.
    This would require several changes and new firmware.
    No need to use your primary email account to send emails.
    Just use another smtp account like google to send email or else use notifications.

    Gael

  3. #3
    Join Date
    12.05.2010
    Posts
    343

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by itsmorefun View Post
    Hi,

    No, I do not think so.
    This would require several changes and new firmware.
    No need to use your primary email account to send emails.
    Just use another smtp account like google to send email or else use notifications.

    Gael
    I'm not going to create another email to just use GHL notifications. 16+ character passwords are not uncommon (especially in the current security climate) so hopefully GHL will put this request on its development backlog to be processed.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    10.10.2013
    Posts
    511

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by richard.mayo View Post
    I'm not going to create another email to just use GHL notifications. 16+ character passwords are not uncommon (especially in the current security climate) so hopefully GHL will put this request on its development backlog to be processed.
    Hi,

    Why? This email account will just be used to send emails to the addresses of your choice, it will never be used to receive ...
    There is no security problem here, the password is only used by the GHL server to communicate with the server which sends the emails, it does not allow access to your main email box so if you worry about the security of your emails it is precisely better not to use your main mailbox to send emails.
    I don't see the point of wasting GHL developers' time on this when there are much more urgent and important things. In addition, it would require taking more resources in the profilux memory, resources that would be much more useful for other purposes.

    Gaël

  5. #5
    Join Date
    12.05.2010
    Posts
    343

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by itsmorefun View Post
    Hi,

    Why? This email account will just be used to send emails to the addresses of your choice, it will never be used to receive ...
    There is no security problem here, the password is only used by the GHL server to communicate with the server which sends the emails, it does not allow access to your main email box so if you worry about the security of your emails it is precisely better not to use your main mailbox to send emails.
    I don't see the point of wasting GHL developers' time on this when there are much more urgent and important things. In addition, it would require taking more resources in the profilux memory, resources that would be much more useful for other purposes.

    Gaël
    Gael, not sure if you speak for or represent GHL, but I will leave it to them to decide what they put on their development backlog.

    Have a Merry Xmas

  6. #6
    Join Date
    10.10.2013
    Posts
    511

    Default

    Hi Richard,

    I'm just giving my opinion.

    Have a Merry Xmas too

    Gaël

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •