Thread: Profilux Plus II Ex

Default Profilux Plus II Ex

Hello,
    After an unfortunate event last weekend = 1 meter of water in our finished basement, my Profilux Plus II Ex controller was submerged in water for some time. Since it was powered via a GFCI circuit, power was switched off prior to submersion of the controller. I've removed the case and inspected it. It is dirty. Nothing looks broken but there is some corrosion. The EX expansion module looks very good. I was able to find a brand new Profilux Plus II controller for sale and purchased it. Serial number is 0803092049

After cleaning in 99% alcohol solution and drying completely, I transferred the EX card from my original controller to the new controller.

Here is my question: When powering up the new controller with the EX card installed, it says new hardware recognized in serial location. It does not display any error messages. However, I'm not able to access any of the functions (conductivity, redox for example). This controller says it has software version 4.0. I'm unclear if I need to do a firmware update in order to gain access to the EX card.

Please help as my entire reef has been running reliably on this system for over 10 years and it's currently on life support!

Thx,
    Andy

It would be best to update to at least the FW version of your previous ProfiLux.
    Firmware and software can be found here: https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/downloads/

If you need help with the update or if you encounter further problems, please create a ticket.
    No support or warranty issues over PM! Please send PMs to the moderators only if you have general problems with using the forum! Thanks for helping us to keep the support efficient.
    Kein Support oder Reklamationsabwicklung über PM! Bitte senden Sie an die Moderatoren nur PMs bei allgemeinen Problemen mit der Verwendung des Forums! Danke dass Sie uns dabei helfen, den Support effektiv zu gestalten.

Thank you - but wouldn't it be better to update the FW of the new controller? The old controller had some corrosion on it. I did not attempt to clean it with alcohol - only the EX board which I then transferred over to the new controller. I just want to be sure I understand if there is a reason I need to try and use the old controller first. Thank you.

He meant that you please update the controller board you are going to use in the future.
    After that need you to tell the controller board, which still thinks it is a "normal" ProfiLux, that it is actually an eX.
    There is somewhere in the PC Software a function in the main menu. I don't recall the exact position at the moment, but it is easy to find.
    No support or warranty issues over PM! Please send PMs to the moderators only if you have general problems with using the forum! Thanks for helping us to keep the support efficient.
    Kein Support oder Reklamationsabwicklung über PM! Bitte senden Sie an die Moderatoren nur PMs bei allgemeinen Problemen mit der Verwendung des Forums! Danke dass Sie uns dabei helfen, den Support effektiv zu gestalten.

Perfect. Thank you!

OK, so I performed the following:

1.) Installed Firmware 5.17
    2.) Successfully connected controller to Profilux PC software V5.7.1.2
    3.) Found drop down menu option to upgrade software to recognize Extended card and performed this function
    4.) Power cycled controller per instructions given it item 3 above
    5.) Controller is showing illuminated display but no text (not going through a boot cycle or displaying any sort of information)
    6.) Tried to power cycle controller again without success
    7.) Tried connecting to controller via PC software without success (Error code 28)

Does this indicate a problem with the EX expansion card which I removed from my old controller? If so, I know where to purchase a new one (actually that one is now no longer available!). Please advise!

Thanks,
    Andy
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 09.07.2021 at 15:41. Reason: New EX card no longer available

I have a feeling there must be a hardware issue with the EX module so to avoid further delays, I just found where to order from aquariumcomputer.com and placed an order for a new EX module. My plan is to swap the EX modules and try to reboot the controller. If you have any insight otherwise in the meantime, please advise.

Thanks,
    Andy

Separate question: My dosing unit (4 head version) was also submerged in water. I performed the same cleaning procedure. I since powered it and it displays a green light indicating it has power but have not yet connected it to the Profilux controller. If I discover it is no longer functional, what do I do? Is it possible to repair? Do I need to buy the new version of dosing unit and is it even compatible with my controller? Thank you,

Andy