Thread: Power bar 6D help please

Default Power bar 6D help please

Hi,
    I'm looking at adding another powerbar to my P4
    I've been offered a 6D for £80.
    Can someone tell me how it connects to the P4 ?
    Are there any major differences between the 6D and the new 6E PAB that came with my P4?

Any help would be great

do you have a 6d pab ore the older 6d?
    the 6d pab is nearly the same like the 6e. the old 6d is connekted to the red ports. you have to set this ports to digital mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    do you have a 6d pab ore the older 6d?
    the 6d pab is nearly the same like the 6e. the old 6d is connekted to the red ports. you have to set this ports to digital mode.

Hi thanks for the reply.
    I currently have the new 6e that came with the mega set I'm looking to add another bar to my P4
    I've been offered a 6d pab old style. Can I only connect the 6d with the s ports not connect it with a pab cable through my existing 6e?
    Is it worth buying the 6d pab for £80 or should I shell out and get another 6E

You connect the old 6d model to an S port on your Profilux 4 just like the current STDL4-4 powerbar, you have to tell the profilux that it is a 6D powerbar though I believe. At least on the older Profilux models but Profilux 4 should be the same.

The 6E PAB has current monitoring for example, the 6D is "just" a switchable powerbar. It is very similar to the STDL4-4 except that it has two more sockets and 6D can be daisy chained with up to three more 6D units for total of four powerbars on a S socket.

edit. Oh, lots of answers while I wrote mine. Oh well :-)

All answers are welcome and appreciated
    I know the 6E has current monitoring but not sure what use it really has yet as I don't think I can track it or do anything with the information apart from look at the current draw ?
    I think for what I want the 6D will serve its purpose for now I don't think £80 is a bad price
    What cable do I need to connect it to the S port is it an RJ 12?

The current draw monitoring has its place and can be very useful in large installations or if you have power hungry equipment and you need to monitor so you don't run the risk of tripping a breaker for example. There are other good security features on 6E and they can have almost infinite numbers daisy chained. But the 6D is probably good enough for most use cases with regular aquariums. To answer a previous question the 6D is not PAB compatible in any way so the S socket connection is mandatory.

Just check the condition of the unit, these powerbars can live hard lives close to saltwater so they may have corrosion from salt stains. Otherwise it should be great!

Yes, an RJ12 cable is correct.

Thanks, unfortunately I only have a normal size tank ( wide and the size of my house won't allow for a larger one )
    The be honest the current monitoring has come in useful with a faulty heater so I do see it's benefits would just like to be able to track the information more would be useful if it recorded the data.
    The 6D will have wave pumps and a couple of LED light bars so a simple on off timer will suffice
    Thanks for all the information it's appreciated

Hi Aaron,

If you do decide to grab that PB-6D (non-PAB), you will have to first re-number your existing powerbar outlet so they start at 7. This new PB will be assigned as 1-6 and the original PB as 7-12. Once that is done, connect to your ProfiLux and enable digital communication for the S1-S4 port, then save settings. That option will be in the switch channels page of GHL Control Center. Click Program digital powerbar and follow on-screen prompts.
    No support or warranty issues over PM!
    Please send PMs to the moderators only if you have general problems with using the forum! Thanks for helping us to keep the support efficient.

Creating a support ticket
    For support or warranty issues, create a support ticket by clicking here.