Thread: KHD Testing schedule

Default KHD Testing schedule

I have been characterising my KH usage through the day and have noticed that the usage of KH occurs rapidly overnight. The normal value of 8.3 can drop down to 9.2. I have not been able to identify a way to dose in a controlled manner except by doing 2 hourly testing and then using add in control based on a zero dose control.

It would be better if I could schedule the KHD to test at at specific times, in the same way that I can set individual doses, then my Add-in control dosing would be calculated against a current measurement baseline, and therefore more appropriate.

If you increase the number of doses and tests per day, you allow the KHD to make adjustments more often which gives more flexibility for increasing dose amounts in the moments when KH consumption is highest.
    No support or warranty issues over PM!
    Please send PMs to the moderators only if you have general problems with using the forum! Thanks for helping us to keep the support efficient.

Creating a support ticket
    For support or warranty issues, create a support ticket by clicking here.

Yes Vinny, that is entirely true. But to maintain that, my KHD is drinking both reagent and tankwater, reasonably heavily. A more tailored approach (given that I have characterised when the periods of high (albeit variable) demand occurs) would allow me to economise on reagent a bit, as well as reducing the number of cycles on both the KHD and doser pump hardware, thereby improving the cost effectiveness of the product.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
    If you increase the number of doses and tests per day, you allow the KHD to make adjustments more often which gives more flexibility for increasing dose amounts in the moments when KH consumption is highest.
    I agree with RiqaqW, A possibility to decide when the KHD should test would be very good. I have to do many tests during periods when nothing happens to the KH because i need the test to be done more frequently during other periods.

Default Thanks Johannes, and how to work around it.

Quote Originally Posted by Johannes.swe View Post
    I agree with RiqaqW, A possibility to decide when the KHD should test would be very good. I have to do many tests during periods when nothing happens to the KH because i need the test to be done more frequently during other periods.
    Thanks for your agreement Johannes. Unless GHL do not have the authority to change the software, due to contractual reasons, it appears feasible to replace the simple times per day scheduling, with the scheduling software module from (e.g. the doser time scheduling module) in the control software. It would be an improvement on the cost of ownership and the salinity stabilisation.

However, as GHL appear (from Vinny's response) to be unwilling to carry out this proposed improvement, , over the year I have successfully developed a workaround, which has significantly reduced my testing. the approach I adopted was as follows:
    1. Do hourly tests for 3 days to characterise average KH consumption at each time
    2 Calculate the average total daily consumption over those 3 days
    3. Breakdown my total daily consumption to fit the hourly consumption from 1.
    4. Carry out testing once a day just to monitor if I need to adjust the values.

The good thing is that as I am not using the adaptive capability of the KHD to maintain the dosing levels, the KHD and associated doser are using a lot less consumables (including spare parts) and also (more importantly) the KH is protected against errors in automatic compensation as a result of the occaisional errant measurement (These can occur whatever test method you use (test kit or system based).

I will change the KHD over to my partner's tank to characterise her tank consumption (when I get around to it). As we have similar tanks, I currently use the logic I learnt from my tank.

Thanks for your input RiqaqW.

I don't see any reason why GHL not could make it possible to define time for testing, the same script as used for dosing pumps could be used where you use tests/day or defined schedule. For users it would be a big upside , savings on reagent and most important for me save space in waste water bucket