Thread: Skimmer full alarm

Default Skimmer full alarm

I am planning on putting a level sensor in my skimmer collection cup to turn off the skimmer when the cup is full. I would also like it to raise an alarm when the cup is full.

I think I know how to program the socket to respond correctly (set the skimmer socket to Water2 and set the sensor to ATO and set max on-time to 0).

Is there a way to raise an alarm when the cup is full?

This is a GREAT idea. Is this something that you think could be implemented with the float switches that came with my Plus II ???? I've never set them up for anything since my ATO runs all day and slowly adds to the tank, not just when the water in the sump gets low....

A very quick way to do this would be to have your float as leak detection and the set the socket to water # (the number that you float is on).

PS I have not tested it, let me know.....

Quote Originally Posted by kidney514 View Post
    A very quick way to do this would be to have your float as leak detection and the set the socket to water # (the number that you float is on).

PS I have not tested it, let me know.....
    I thought of that but it only issues a alarm when the sensor is on not off (water level is too low) I need the alarm to be issued when the sensor is in the off state (water level is too high).

Can't you invert the behavior?

Quote Originally Posted by xiaan View Post
    I thought of that but it only issues a alarm when the sensor is on not off (water level is too low) I need the alarm to be issued when the sensor is in the off state (water level is too high).
    Have a look at the white plastic piece at your floater. Can you read the text on it? If yes, you can invert the floater by pulling the white piece from the sensor (black piece can be pressed, then it will be released), turn it upside down and fix it again onto the sensor. Now it is inverted and will work exactly the other way round - the way you want to have it. Have a try.

Thanks I will have to give this a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolin View Post
    Have a look at the white plastic piece at your floater. Can you read the text on it? If yes, you can invert the floater by pulling the white piece from the sensor (black piece can be pressed, then it will be released), turn it upside down and fix it again onto the sensor. Now it is inverted and will work exactly the other way round - the way you want to have it. Have a try.
    I meant of course "Can you NOT read the text on it?" - Sorry!

This is a photo how to that I did to show how to setup the float sensor to trigger when the level is too low but shows how to swap the float around that I posted on RTAW " Reefing the Australian Way" or MASA

http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB2/viewto...r=asc&start=30

Are you trying setting it up as a low level alarm (Leak detection (ie don't run the return pump when water level is to low) )

If you are then you need to take float off the sensor and turn the float upside down and put it back on. As this is the only was to change the change state of the sensor the inverse of it. Otherwise it will alarm when the water level is high and not alarm when water level is low the (ie off when level low, on when level high) as the detection part (Magnet) is a one end of the sensor

A photo how to

Take the sensor

Pinch the end tabs together

Now side the float over the tabs while pinch together

Now that the Float if off the the float upside down (ie 180 degrades)

Now side the float back on the the black probe over the sensor

Now the Float level sensor is set for inverse operation

Hope that this helps

Regards
    skippy

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.