Thread: Allow constant level return pump regulation

Default Allow constant level return pump regulation

Hello,

I have a red sea reefer and the overflow box has a silent descent tube + the "emergency box" would it be possible to have two level sensor in this overflow box to regulate the pump speed and adjust the rate ( within specific boundaries) to keep the overflow box level within the silent range.

As the regulated descent speed is not always constant. Could still need a flow sensor.

Let me know what you think of the idea ( or how it could be implemented )

A flow sensor and a 1-10v controllable pump can already do this. The FS would allow you to set a specific flow rate and the ProfiLux will maintain it for the pump.

Hello Vinny,

Thanks for your quick answer,

What you're proposing is for constant flow, this will regulate the speed at wich the water goes back to the display tank, not the speed at which it will go back to the sump and as such the level it will reach in the overflow box.

Here, i want "bounded (within min / max)" level in the overflow box as the regulated downpipe isn't "constant flow", particules sometimes get stuck in it bacteries do settle in there, reducing flow, generating noise. when the overflow pipe start being used (reduced downpipe flow) or when suddenly the blockage dislodge itself, the regulated downpipe start sucking air, generating noise all the same.

By having the "low level" bumping the regulated flow up, and the "high level" reducing the flow (like 0.2%) with a 5 minutes pause. it should be possible to self regulate the speed to keep the system in equilibrium. the more costly solution would be triple flow sensor, and require to keep them equal (and aim for 0l/h on the overflow pipe), but this will be quite a mess to do.

I'll try to do a poc of this feedback loop dynamic rate computation as soon as able to order the parts
    Last edited by xdecock; 28.07.2020 at 15:28. Reason: Reduced the flow in both case, which is obviously incorrect