Thread: KHD Measurement values less stable than expected.

Default KHD Measurement values less stable than expected.

For just over two weeks I have now been using Add Control through the KHD having set my nominal level at 8.5dkh.

Whilst the measurements are stable for short periods a sudden increase or decrease occurs which seems to be being caused by the adjusted dose not reacting quickly enough to any increase or decrease in the measurement values.

I am measuring three times per day and ideally do not want to increase this due about a litre of saltwater being removed each day to carry out the measurements.

Anyone else having this problem and if so how is this resolved.

Screenshots show changes over last few days and the Add On set up.

Thanks

Screenshot 2020-07-22 at 13.02.12.jpg

Screenshot 2020-07-22 at 13.03.11.jpg

If the changes are due to widely fluctuating KH consumption rates, you can increase the doses per day and decrease the amount per dose. This will provide a more steady supply of KH supplement. If the KHD determines you need a little bit more, it will make the adjustment for you.

I don't think there is widely fluctuating KH consumption as there no changes in the aquarium that would cause this. If you look at the screenshot that I attached it shows that the KH level can be very consistent and then there are sudden increases /decreases over a short period.

It certainly seems to me that the adjustment in the dose does not change sufficiently quick enough to stop the increases and decreases occurring - again see a screenshot which shows the KH measurements alongside the doses.

Thanks

You can test the KHD by running three tests back-to-back, if all results are consistent with each other then the KHD is working properly. The screenshot shows your levels have swung only 0.5 dkH within the 5 day period. Considering the tolerances of the KHD (+/- 0.2dkH) and varying consumption rates throughout the day, a change of this amount does not seem out of the ordinary. Corals do not consume the same amounts of KH day-to-day or by the hour. Sometimes the tank undergoes a change on a bacterial level which results in a consumption higher than normal.

If you continue to see this kind of behavior from the tank, you can stabilize the readings some more by either increasing the Volume change and Limits to 2ml or you can test more times per day.

That's at least some reassurance on the swings. I may try the three tests back to back when time permits in the meantime I have just increased the daily doses from 6 to 10 keeping the same volume per day and see how that goes.

I'll consider trying your last solution increasing the Volume change and Limits to 2ml if all else fails. Ideally, I want to keep my test times per day at 3 to avoid taking more saltwater out of the system

Thanks