Thread: Water Change with Filling First

Default Water Change with Filling First

Hello

Apologies if it's been covered before, I did try searching Google and here but with no luck

I have a Red Sea Reefer with its own ATO which is manually activated via a float valve. Therefore, I need my AWC to be automated with the filling part first and then the drain. This is going to be done via a Profilux 4 and a Maxi Doser.

I've achieved this by setting the Drain socket as the filling pump and the Fill socket as the Full socket.

Just trying to test this and the pump successfully filled the tank up until the high sensor un-ticked, and then the draining pump started under the Fill routine.

My issue is that as soon as the high sensor drops and becomes 'ticked' again, the whole water change function stops as completed.

How do I get it to continue until the lower sensor is back in its original position?

Even if I had this setup to drain first, it would be stopping as soon as the lower sensor is reset rather than the original sensor.

Many thanks
    Scott

Hello Scott,

The workaround to this is to bypass the sensors and setup each Maxi head with a normal dosing schedule.

This way you can set a "dose" schedule for the fill pump to turn ON and "dose" the amount you want to fill. After this part is complete, you can have the dose schedule for the other Maxi head remove the same amount of water. With this setup, you will need to calibrate both heads so they are adding and removing equal amounts of water.

Another option would be to use dose schedules and have both drain and filling pumps run at the same time. The drain pump will pull from one section of the sump and the fill pump will dispense water in another section.

With either option, you would not have to use the float sensors, switch channel or control circuit programming.

Daumen hoch

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
    Hello Scott,

With either option, you would not have to use the float sensors, switch channel or control circuit programming.
    I guess that is actually a very neat option... keeping it simple and having the same effect.

There is also the benefit that I can run the water change in much smaller and more regular amounts, and won't need to worry about shutting equipment down or the sensors not precisely measuring the levels (which was an issue during testing).

Also, I can re-purpose the sensors as alarms in case the doser takes or gives too much water

Perfect, many thanks for the idea