Thread: Automatic waterchange from waterline instead of prefilled container.

Default Automatic waterchange from waterline instead of prefilled container.

As described in the title. can you do a waterchange by having a pump draining water and a valve opening a waterline to fill the aquarium?

i got 4500L freshwater aquarium and would like to do waterchanges several times a week and would love to make it automatic but i dont have room for the containers to store water in.

What im thinking is that instead of a pump connected to an controlled outlet i connect an electric magnet valve that either opens or closes the water line "on and off" but does it work to do it that way?

// thanks in advance!
    Last edited by johan501; 21.08.2019 at 08:39.

Quote Originally Posted by johan501 View Post
    As described in the title. can you do a waterchange by having a pump draining water and a valve opening a waterline to fill the aquarium?

i got 4500L freshwater aquarium and would like to do waterchanges several times a week and would love to make it automatic but i dont have room for the containers to store water in.

What im thinking is that instead of a pump connected to an controlled outlet i connect an electric magnet valve that either opens or closes the water line "on and off" but does it work to do it that way?

// thanks in advance!
    Hi,
    What controller are you running, P4?
    what percentage or amount of water do you like to change at a time and weekly?
    The simplest way to make it is ;
    1. Install two level sensors in your display tank.
    2. Apply ato & awc function of P4.
    3. Connect a solenoid valve in the waterline
    instead of an awc feed pump.
    You can select one or multiple days a week.
    I believe you already considered that, if you make big amount of water change at once, you might have chlorine problem and a temp. problem in a cold season. So you must change small amount of water and multiple times in a day by using programable logic function.

If you can set drain and supply flow rate precisely, you can adjust total amount of drain water by a timer function and let the drain is slightly faster than the water supply. The logic function stops the drain pump either the time-out or the lower level sensor detection. Then the water supply valve closes at the water level hits the upper level sensor.

Some years ago, I ran continuous water change for my frashwater tank as lollows.
    I had two level sensors on the top of my display tank (20mm difference).
    A drain solenoid valve opened until low level detection, and closed. Then a valve to supply new water opened until a high level detection. The amount of water change was determined by the flow rates of the drain and supply. This funtion continued 24/7.
    This also can be made by the programmabe logic of P4.

If you explain some more details on your situation and intention, maybe i can make more comments.
    Son