Thread: How many Mitras LX7206 units over a 300cm tank?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default How many Mitras LX7206 units over a 300cm tank?

I'm in the final stages of planning my new reef tank which will be 300cm x 70cm (front to back) x 90cm deep. I was going to use another LED manufacturer but after reading up on people's impressions of the LX7206 I'm considering switching (plus I recently installed a Profilux 4 and KHD and am a happy customer!).

The tank will be predominantly (if not only) SPS. I would like to mount the lights to the ceiling above the tank to avoid having to have a rack system to move them out of the way for maintenance in the tank. The distance from the top of the tank to the ceiling is about 60cm and probably 65cm to the water surface...

How many of these lights would I need to get very good coverage over the entire tank? and in what configuration (perpendicular or parallel to the length of the tank)?

And any idea whether I can still get 200 to 300-400 PAR in the tank given the height of the lights and the depth of the tank? Today I'm running LEDs that are 29cm over the water level of a 50cm deep tank and I have the LEDs dialled down to about 50% and getting good PAR and growth (I ran them at higher % at first and burned corals).

Thanks!

Laith

Hello Laith,

For the most coverage throughout the entire tank footprint, I would do 5 fixtures positioned perpendicular to the tank length.
    This will allow you to not only place SPS anywhere in the tank, but it will also give you the flexibility to mount the LX7s higher off the water surface, about 50cm. Greater is also possible, but you may have to run the LX7s at a higher output.

Thanks Vinny.

I think in the end I'll have a rack over the tank that I can raise and lower... it will give me more flexibility for lighting height anyway.

Two more questions if I may:

1. If I understand my reading correctly, I can connect the LX7s to my Profilux 4 without any additional equipment? It's just a WiFi connection between the P4 and the lights?

2. One requirement on the new tank is it needs to be as quiet as possible... how loud are the fans in the LX7s?

Thanks,

Laith

One more question:

The website states the following about the LX7s:

"Mitras LX7 may not be used in a closed aquarium below a cover. The clearance between aquarium and Mitras LX 7 must beat least 20 cm (7.9″)."

Does this means that "below a cover" is ok if you have more than 20cm clearance?

Mine will be enclosed as follows:Tank and Stand full length 75 wide 3D.jpg

And is this restriction due to the amount of heat the lights give off?

The lights require adequate room to disperse the heat.
    Using the lights in an enclosed area is okay as long as the space has fans to remove the heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
    The lights require adequate room to disperse the heat.
    Using the lights in an enclosed area is okay as long as the space has fans to remove the heat.
    They will be in a space that will be 400cm x 75cm (front to back) x 62cm (height). This is against a wall that will have two or three ventilation fans pulling air from above the tank to the outside.

Will this do?

Thanks!

1. In order for the P4 to control the LX7, you will need the PLM-PWC expansion card. This card is installed onto the P4 and allows for wireless communication between the P4 (MASTER) and multiple LX7s (SLAVES).

2. They are super quiet. If you put your ear close enough to the fans, only then will you hear a slight sound.