Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Octo (Reef Octopus) wave and return pumps control

Thanks Vinny, I understand how the breakout box works. I still wouldn't know how to use this cable whether connecting it to the breakout box or an RJ12 as I have no idea which wires are which. If I knew that then I could use a breakout box or an RJ12.

The cable colors are not standardized, so we can't know which cable fits which pin.

regards Pit

I had a feeling that would be the case. So the only way is by seeing how the wire is connected to the aux pin and hoping it's the same at the other end...

All you have to do is measure the cable.

So probably easier to get a simple single cable and just connect the wire connected to the wide part of the connector to pin 3 and the other cable to pin 2 or 5, based on a diagram in another thread on here.

It looks like there should just be a negative and positive. Would there be any harm caused in getting them the wrong way around in a 2-wire cable that's just controlling a return pump?

Ok, I bought a Breakout Box.

The aux cable has three wires - bare (assuming it's the ground), white and red.

I bought a multimeter. No idea what I'm doing but connected the assumed ground and then found no variation on the reading with the red wire and various readings and varying pump speed with the white wire.

What wires should I connect to which terminals? I assume the bare wire to terminal 3. White to 2? Red to anything?

I think this is all you need:
    Quote Originally Posted by PIWAWT View Post

Attachment 11229

regards Pit
    Now you need to find out, which of the 2 rings resp. the tip of the jack belongs to which cable.
    Usually the yellow ring is GND and goes to the shield (bare).
    Not sure about the other 2, but a DMM will show you if they belong to red or white.
    No support or warranty issues over PM! Please send PMs to the moderators only if you have general problems with using the forum! Thanks for helping us to keep the support efficient.
    Kein Support oder Reklamationsabwicklung über PM! Bitte senden Sie an die Moderatoren nur PMs bei allgemeinen Problemen mit der Verwendung des Forums! Danke dass Sie uns dabei helfen, den Support effektiv zu gestalten.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthias View Post
    I think this is all you need:

Now you need to find out, which of the 2 rings resp. the tip of the jack belongs to which cable.
    Usually the yellow ring is GND and goes to the shield (bare).
    Not sure about the other 2, but a DMM will show you if they belong to red or white.
    What's a DMM?

When testing the wires with a multimeter I get nothing from the red wire and fluctuating readings from the white wire, so I'm guessing that I just connect the bare ground wire to terminal 3 and the white wire to terminal 2, but I've not done this before or actually used a multimeter before so I'm hoping to get some confirmation?

I guess DMM = Digital MultiMeter...

So the wire that provides a reading would be the wire that I connect to terminal 2.

I'll give it a go and see what happens.

That worked fine. I assumed the bare wire was the ground and then found the wire that gave a reading with the multimeter. That wire was put in terminal 2 and it works fine. Using a multimeter was the key to this and once I got hold of one it was easy to get this working.

Far simpler than I was thinking and the breakout box does make it far easier than fiddling around trying to get two wires into the slots on an RJ12.