Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Upgrading Firmware

Default Upgrading Firmware

I am wondering if anyone can give me some insight. I have tried connecting to my P3 from two different laptops, using USB I have the ports set to the same number in both device manager and in Profilux Control and yet it will not connect. I have also tried it through serial using a USB to Serial adapter, also with no luck, I once again have the com port numbers set to the same thing. I am going crazy, I need to do the firmware upgrade and yet I cannot seem to connect in either of the ways that I need to, to do the upgrade. My network connection to the Profilux is working great, I can connect and I can get to the web page, but for the life of me I cannot get Serial or USB to work. ANY IDEAS?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadoww View Post
    I am wondering if anyone can give me some insight. I have tried connecting to my P3 from two different laptops, using USB I have the ports set to the same number in both device manager and in Profilux Control and yet it will not connect. I have also tried it through serial using a USB to Serial adapter, also with no luck, I once again have the com port numbers set to the same thing. I am going crazy, I need to do the firmware upgrade rade your and yet I cannot seem to connect in either of the ways that I need to, to do the upgrade. My network connection to the Profilux is working great, I can connect and I can get to the web page, but for the life of me I cannot get Serial or USB to work. ANY IDEAS?
    I didnt do upgrage yet, but i think you need to use RS cable to upgrage your firmware..

Connect via USB or via USB to serial adapter works in the same way:

- ProfiLux is running and the init messages on the display are gone
    - Plug in the USB cable or USB to serial adapter to the ProfiLux
    - connect the cable to your PCs USB Port
    - figure out the port number of the USB COM in the device manager - don't change
    - Make a "New..." connection with
    Name: USB - for example
    Type of connection: RS232/USB
    COM: port number of USB COM
    Baud: 9600
    Device address: 1
    ...and "Save"

Now you should be able to connect to the ProfiLux

A firmware update is possible via ProfiLux3 onboard RS232 port or onboard USB port. Only if you are forced to use the FR flasher software after a broken update you must use the RS232 port.

Hint: Not every USB to serial Adapter works with the ProfiLux

Yes I have done those steps and I am still unable to connect. I have also done the search for port and it does not find it. I am wondering if there is something physically wrong with my unit, since I am unable to connect either way. I have also tried changing the baud rate both up and down and no luck.

Matthias, is there any diagnostic method to see if the board is working correctly?

Hi,

I need some diagnostics from you.

1. With profilux connected and switched on go to device manager and look under Serial LPT port for ProfiLic driver, iff it shows up then the PC is seeing the connection of the ProfiLux

2. Obvious question - make sure com ports match both in PL and Device manager

3. If no connection then, connect over LAN to your router, does this work?

The assumption would be if the device is being found by the dreiver and you can connect over LAN the card is then working and it is being port blocked on your PC or lap top.

In this case try USB adapter to RS232.

GHL ProfiLux Canada/USA Distribution and support

Hi,

Ok,

1. I find the Profilic serial port without a problem and can change the Com port that it is on.

2. They match and I have moved up and down the range, with both matching.

3. Still no connection, I can connect to the Profilux over the LAN with no problems through multiple switches.

4. I have tried a USB to Serial cable, I have borrowed another laptop that has a serial port built in, so I am going to test that tonight. I know not every USB to serial adapter will work, this is why I am going to try the laptop with direct Serial connection.

Hi

serial to serial will work I am very confident but we do need to try if at all possible USB to serial this will then determine if it is the card of the PC, if it conects via USB to serial there is a possibility that the USB part of the card is not working.

However i do have another client with an exact mirror image of your issue in every single respect and am thinking it is more PC related becuase to have two support cases so identical I have never come across as yet.

I would be more than happy to help with diagnosing the problem.

I have used the IOGear GUC232A USB to Serial adapter and its supplied drivers but that one did not seem to work either. I get a flashing activity light on the device but Profilux control will not connect no matter what COM port I set both items to.

I am running Windows XP on my machine and My wifes computer is running Windows Vista, both had the same results. I may go this weekend and purchase a different brand of USB to Serial adapter to see if that one can connect.

I don't know if it is relevant but when I did my hardware upgrade I just put everything in the case and then powered it up and activated the EX part. What I mean by this is I did not do only the main circuit boards, power on then take down and put in the EX board, power on, then take down and add the USB & network card and then power up for the last time.

Are you running the same firewall and anti Virus?

If you can not connect using the adapter i am leaning towards PC related.

I assume you are using the latest ProfiLic driver? sorry if you have already answered that.