Thread: Placement of KH Director and Doser 2.1

Default Placement of KH Director and Doser 2.1

Good morning.

I am in the evaluation phase of investing in KH control equipment, and reflect on the KH Director or the Alkatronic.
    Due to limited space, I have to place the unit inside my cabinet below tank, and one reason to look at KH Director is the following (I hope) possibility:.

Is it OK to place the KH Director and the Doser 2.1 vertically, or must they be placed horisontally as described in manual.

What is the argument for horisontal placement, are there any limitations I do not see?
    Last edited by NorwayEagle; 02.07.2018 at 08:24.

Hello,

the Doser should work if placed vertically but the KH Director won't work if placed vertically because of the internal placement of the pH-sensor and the fluid inputs/outages.
    No support or warranty issues over PM! Please send PMs to the moderators only if you have general problems with using the forum! Thanks for helping us to keep the support efficient.
    Kein Support oder Reklamationsabwicklung über PM! Bitte senden Sie an die Moderatoren nur PMs bei allgemeinen Problemen mit der Verwendung des Forums! Danke dass Sie uns dabei helfen, den Support effektiv zu gestalten.

OK, in that case I have to think a bit further about how to make place for such installation.

But still, I see the electrode is positioned horisontally, I assume into a kind of measuring chamber where the electrode tip do the measurement.
    If placed vertically, does that implies that the assumed chamber is not filled correctly, may be at risk for air?

Does it exist a crossprint of the unit that can explain for me?

Yes theres a measuring chamber. If placed vertically in any way, the fluid in the chamber will flow through the vent tube or can't be pumped through the waste tube and the pH reading will be wrong.
    Currently I don't have any crossprint or picture available to explain it exactly.
    No support or warranty issues over PM! Please send PMs to the moderators only if you have general problems with using the forum! Thanks for helping us to keep the support efficient.
    Kein Support oder Reklamationsabwicklung über PM! Bitte senden Sie an die Moderatoren nur PMs bei allgemeinen Problemen mit der Verwendung des Forums! Danke dass Sie uns dabei helfen, den Support effektiv zu gestalten.

Maybe this picture will help explain why the KHD cannot be placed on its side.
    KHD probe bnc port.jpg

As Thilo mentioned, placing the unit on its side would cause the fluid in the chamber to flow out of the VENT port before a KH test is completed. Even so, the KHD was designed to be used in the correct position, not on it's side.

I found a video from Reef-A-Palooza demonstrating the KHD where the top lid was removed.
    I then understood why it cannot be placed vertical.
    Anyway I think it should be possible to modify in my cabinet so I can find a spot.
    Last edited by NorwayEagle; 03.07.2018 at 20:34.