Thread: Which level sensor to use, floater or optical?

Default Which level sensor to use, floater or optical?

Hi,

I’m new on this forum and just in the beginning of setting up my tank and all the GHL equipment
    So here are my first questions.

Which sensor is most likely to work in the long run as an overflow sensor, optical or floater?
    I’m placing one sensor in my container for the osmosis if for some reason connections would start to leak and also one in a tray where my freshwater container is placed if for some reason the optical level inside fails to shut off my magnetic valves feeding the osmosis resulting the container to overflow.
    Floaters would be easier to check as I could just lift it up by hand and get a response but if optical is more accurate I’m going with those.

Kind of off topic questions.
    Is it possible to set a timer for sensors? Bottom sensor of my fresh water container is activated and magnetic valves are opened and water is produced, a timer starts, water reaches the top sensor and magnetic valves should close. If for some reason the sensor fails, powerbar time limit is reached and shuts off the magnetic valves even though top sensor failed.

Are all the magnets for sensor holders safe to place under water?

Kind regards
    Kim

I have used both, Optical and Float, I like the Optical.

100% you can set the max on-time on the sensor port and when that is exceeded the pump shuts down until you go in and override the sensor port.
    max_on.png

Quote Originally Posted by KevinR View Post
    I have used both, Optical and Float, I like the Optical.

100% you can set the max on-time on the sensor port and when that is exceeded the pump shuts down until you go in and override the sensor port.
    max_on.png
    Hi Kevin,
    Thanks for the answers and the great screen dump. Gonna place an order for my additional sensors.
    Kind regards
    Kim