Thread: Mitras LX7 in canopy with glass tops

Default Mitras LX7 in canopy with glass tops

I have a 180 gallon tank with glass tops and a canopy (open back, 8" height). Would it be possible to use the LX7s in the canopy, assuming appropriate ventilation. They would not be exposed to water.

Thanks in Advance

If the ventilation is correct and it doesn't get wet, why not?

regards Pit

Belated thanks Pit! I'm still considering upgrading to LX7s. Heat will not be issues with twelve 31 CFM fans in the back of the canopy. A few questions:

My tank is 72" X 24" X 24" with 2 top braces, the glass tops and an 8" canopy. Essentially, I have 3 cubes of 24" X 24" X 24". Tank is SPS dominant. I would have to place the Mistras no more than 1-2" above the glass tops (3-4" above the water) to leave enough room above for the Mistras fans to cool the unit.

Would 3 LX7s be enough for the tank if each centered in each "cube"?

Do the fans exhaust or draw air into the fixture?

It look like reflectors are used instead of optics. Can you give me an idea of the optics equivalent for each cluster reflector (90, 110 or 120 degrees)? Will I get good enough coverage with the fixtures so close to the water?

Thanks in Advance, Bob

Hi Bob
    3 LX 7200 are optimal for your projectwith SPS. If I remember correctly, the LX7xxx have 120 degrees. The illumination of your dice is still optimal even at this distance.

regard Pit

Hi Pit,

Yes, 120 degrees is about what I have now and that works well.

Thanks Again, Bob