Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: ProfiLux 3: What to do in the case a firmware update failed

Quote Originally Posted by Franklin View Post
    Sorry to bother you with this: link was given by GHL themselves, so i'm just follwoing instruction from my posted serve ticket, sorry. thanks though for correct info.
    Often times "Common Solutions" are provided in the format of what's called "Canned Reply". This makes it quicker, simpler and more accurate to help people with common problems rather than trying to type up the reply to the same questions over and over again.

It's possible that the initial reply from Matthias to you was simply that.. a pretyped "Canned Reply". The only error was the link was from a while back before the forum was "modified" slightly. The download is still there you just have to look a bit for it. Try this (I know you've already gotten the file you need but this may help someone else trying to solve a similar problem)

Go to:
    Downloads - http://support.aquariumcomputer.com/...h/sections.php

scroll down to
    Firmware Updates
    click on your unit designation (ProfiLux 3 in your case)
    http://support.aquariumcomputer.com/...tion.php?sid=7

the very first item is the download you're looking for but here's a link for it just the same
    Flasher FR
    http://support.aquariumcomputer.com/...oad.php?did=48

Quote Originally Posted by Franklin View Post
    Software not in download center?
    I have replaced the dead link. Thanks for the hint.

i am trying to update to firmware 5.11 from 5.05 so i can use profilux control 5.13 without getting errors. it took me a while but i i managed to download and extract the new firmware file save to desktop then start firmware update. i unplugged powerbar and vortech pab then started update. firstly it said somthing about wait while powerbars... then it said erasing flash, then it said not responding. the error message came and said error while transmitting firmware flash erase no response-8. what does this mean? and is this classed as firmware update fail. will i now have to flash and will i get problems? or should i try again

Quote Originally Posted by cerreta View Post
    I too had some major problems here. I wanted to give an update on the issues I encountered and what solved it.

I used a Belkin F5U409-CU USB to Serial adapter. The software is not Windows 7 compatible. I even went to Belkin website and it is not available yet.

I then used another machine with XP. When selecting the Full Operation button, I got another error code. I hit the download button then the dialog box to plug in power cord came up. It finished, but screen was still black.

Then I had to disconnect power cord. Now, all those buttons became available: Erase, Download, Blank Check, Program and verify, etc. I then selected the Full operation button and it uploaded the latest 5.0k firmware.

But, the screen was still black. I then disconnected the power cord and removed adapter. Plugged power cord back in and the Profilux came to life with new firmware.

I hope this information eases somebody’s pain.
    this happened to me i dont think i put power cord in within 2 seconds then profilux switched off. i took out power cord and inserted again and unit came on with new firmware 5.11 i did firmware update without pabs connected (powerbar and vortech controller. how will this effect things?)

i have managed to install firmware 5.11 and i have downloaded profliux controll 5.13. i am still experiencing error code when i click vortech pump 1 error code 41. the only reason i can think of is it is a new page not recognized by the vortech controller. the page on 5.10 just had basic timetable of vortech then description underneath. the new page on 5.13 has how you want pump to respond during awc, feed, maintenance

Default Are these instructions still valid if a firmware update fails?

Are the instructions posted by Matthias in the first post still valid for fixing a ProfiLux 3 after a failed firmware update?

I failed in my firmware update. I guess I need to follow the below instructions connecting to the
    RS232 port on the ProfiLux?

For users to failing to flash the firmware, the USB port is not an option that will work. Is that correct?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthias View Post
    if the update with ProfiLuxControl failed it is possible to update with another tool

1. download http://support.aquariumcomputer.com/...oad.php?did=48
    2. save it somewhere you will find it, no installation required
    3. start "flash.exe"
    4. select "MB91F467D" as controller, 4MHz, navigate to the firmware file (click "open")
    5. check the interface (under "set environment")
    6. disconnect ProfiLux 3 from power (it is not necessary to open the enclosure and to set a jumper like it was ProfiLux II!)
    7. now click "full operation" - ProfiLux still has no power!
    8. plug in the DC-connector - ProfiLux has now power again and the download should start

Hint: If the update with ProfiLuxControl failed then there is maybe something wrong with your connection from PC to ProfiLux 3. Please ensure that your connection is stable and reliable before attempting to update with ProfiLuxControl or this tool, e.g. check the USB driver and update it if possible.

For users to failing to flash the firmware, the USB port is not an option that will work. Is that correct?
    If we talk about the Profilux 3 and not the 3.1N or 3.1A, the answer is "Yes, you need a PC with RS232 serial port".

An USB<>RS232 converter also may work, but it depends on this device if it does or not. Devices with FTDI chipset are working best, but there is no guarantee for that.

Thanks Gunther.

Well, I should clarify that I am asking about a 3.1N eX. The model is not even 2 weeks old.

Thanks Gunther.

Well, I should clarify that I am asking about a 3.1N eX. The model is not even 2 weeks old.

Well, I should clarify that I am asking about a 3.1N eX
    In this case the emergency update also is possible via USB, but it needs some preparations. Unfortunately there is no manual for that yet. Here is a translation from Franks post

If the update via ProfiLuxControl fails, it´s possible to perform an emergency update with another tool.

• Download the flasher tool „Flash-FR.zip“ from http://support.aquariumcomputer.com/...oad.php?did=48 and unzip into a folder you find afterwards easily (no installation neccessary)
    • Download the firmware for the Profilux and unzip into a folder you find afterwards easily.
    • Unplug the ProfiLux from power
    • Open the ProfiLux casing as shown in the manual
    • Set a jumper to the pins of JP1
    • Connect the USB cable to the build-in port of the ProfiLux und an available USB port of your computer
    • Start the windows device manager and open the selector for "COM and LPT". There you can see the available COM ports of your PC.
    • Plug in the power cord of the Profilux again. Now there will be a new port „USB Serial Port“ – this is the port of the pro ProfiLux. I f there is a yellow exclamation mark, you have to install the USB driver first.
    • Start „flash.exe“ from the folder you copy it to.
    • Change/check the settings as follows (it´s important to have exact this settings):
    • Target Microcontroller: "MB91F467D"
    • Crystal Frequency: “4MHz“
    • Press „Open“ and navigate to the firmware file and select it. The firmware name has to start with „ProfiLux3_“ and has the extension „.mhx“, for example ProfiLux3_V515_GER_ENG.mhx
    • If there is only a „.zip“ file, you have to unpack it first
    • Select the COM port at „Set Environment“.
    • Now press "full operation", there will be a download window.
    • Press the reset button now to start the download. If it won´t start, check the port setting - it may be the wrong.
    • If the download is finished, confirm the message with OK and close the flash program.
    • After that, unplug the profilux, remove the jumper from JP1 (it´s enough to put the jumper only to one pin).
    • Now the ProfiLux should strart normally if you plug in power. Close the casing now!