Thread: I do not have a PC, can I still setup and configure the Profilux 4

Default I do not have a PC, can I still setup and configure the Profilux 4

I am wondering if you need a PC to setup and configure a Profilux 4 or can I do it all from the front panel and/or the inbuilt webserver (assuming it has one). I have a tablet so was hoping I could use the web browser on the tablet as I don't want to buy a PC just to run the software.
    Many thanks for any help you can provide.

Hi there,

You don't exactly need a PC to get up and running.

You can connect directly to the P4's web server and add your WiFi details into the fields, this will get the P4 connected to your network. Once that's done, you can take it a step further and setup myGHL by using the on-board touch keys. You can also create and assign functions by using the P4 touch keys.

The only instance where the PC software becomes necessary is if you wanted to backup/restore your controller and probe data, update the firmware on the P4 or any connected PAB-device, and calibrate the P4 touch keys . The WiFi module firmware itself can be updated through the P4's web server. GCC becomes most convenient when you are trying to multi-task and create functions. Because you'd be working on a larger screen, instead of the touch keys, you will be able to view more data and setup functions much quicker.

FWIW, you can find an RCA Windows-based tablet online for less than $100.

Thanks for the reply and apologies for the delayed response. Are you aware of roadmap for myGHL cloud software. I really want this controller but I am not going to go down the road of buying a computer to drive my aquarium controller. I have an old Linux laptop that I could potentially use but really need to understand dates when GHL release new functionality to their software. If it is going to be years before you can do everything on their cloud software then I need to buy the Apex which I really don't like.
    Many thanks

We do not have firm completion dates for new myGHL features. We focus more on the safety and security aspects so all users can navigate through myGHL without any security risks. Once our testing is complete, we release new features to the public.

You can already setup and assign functions on myGHL. The bulk of what you can do in GHL Control Center can be done on myGHL. Go to our myGHL webpage. We have a demo account you can use to get an idea of what is currently possible with myGHL.

Cool thanks, I will try the demo account. I am also installing virtual box on my old Linux laptop and then install Windows in Virtual box ti see if it can access the USB port. If it can, I am going to order the mega-set and hope you guys get the Cloud software fully working so we can all ditch the need for Windows :-)

Tried Windows 10 in Virtualbox under my Linux laptop and my laptop memory/processor are just not up to the job so running the GHL control center software is not an option for me unless I spend more money on a cheap laptop which just adds more cost to the Profilux as the laptop will only be used for the Profilux. Just been through the myGHL demo and it looks good. Is everything in the demo available today? If so, am I right in thinking from what you are saying above, I would need the software to calibrate the probes and update the firmware or are you saying calibration can be done through the keys on the base device (I will be buying the mega-set not the ultimate)? I can wait for the advanced programming to be available in myGHL as I dont need that for a while. From day one, I just want to monitor temp, pH, ORP and Salinity on my reef and shut off the heater if the temperature goes over a certain value.

Many thanks for your help.

Features that you see in the DEMO myGHL are what you can expect to find when you connect to the P4 over myGHL.

Creating and assigning functions, adding new devices, and probe calibration can be done directly from the P4's touch keys. GHL Control Center will come in handy for P4 firmware updates and PAB-device updates.

Based on what you're looking to do at the start, myGHL has you covered.