Thread: Controlling a dimmable MH ballast via 1-10v

Default Controlling a dimmable MH ballast via 1-10v

I have 2 Reef Brite dimmable MH ballast that work via a standard 1-10v connection. Each ballast has it's own 1-10v cable and I would rather combine them into a single 1-10v input on the Profilux. Would a YL2 cable help me save a port on the back of my Profilux 4 controller? So MH ballast 1 is on ch1, and the second ballast would be on ch2. I don't necessarily want to individually control them, just looking to use as few ports as possible on the controller. I do however need to keep them from running at 100%. I'm converting over form an APEX system and not familiar with the Profilux which I have on order.
    Last edited by jporter; 22.02.2017 at 15:53.

Hi,

Since each L-port controls two 1-10V channels you can definitely save an L-port and use a single one by connecting a YL2 cable. This will split the single port into 2 separate L-channels for individual control.

The 1-10V cables on my ballast and LEDs are RJ-45 connectors. What adapter do I need or how do I get them to mate to the Profilux 4 inputs? They look like RJ-11 jacks. I don't know how to get them connected.

easiest way is to use our adapter LBF-AP:

https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/pro...n-accessories/
    No support or warranty issues over PM! Please send PMs to the moderators only if you have general problems with using the forum! Thanks for helping us to keep the support efficient.
    Kein Support oder Reklamationsabwicklung über PM! Bitte senden Sie an die Moderatoren nur PMs bei allgemeinen Problemen mit der Verwendung des Forums! Danke dass Sie uns dabei helfen, den Support effektiv zu gestalten.

Okay, I have 2 of the LBF-AP modules and have the LED's working correctly, I think. I'm not sure it's all correct as the LEDs only work when I select illumination 1 under the L2 port. I have the LED 1-10V wires connected to L1/L3 on the breakout box. Could the 25ft RJ-11 cords I'm using be swapping the ports? I have to use these since the LED and MH ballasts are not located in my tank stand, but in my desk. I still can't get the MH's working correctly. They start to fire, and then act strangely and then shut off. Then I lose connection with my Powerbars. I need to reset the P4 before they connect again. I used these same MH ballast with an Apex prior and the only oddity was they dimmed opposite from the power setting. Example - 100% power meant off and 0% meant full power. Tullio at reef bride explained that to me prior to me connecting them. The thing that really concerns me is the Power strip shutting off and not being able to reconnect until a power cycle. What am I doing wrong? JP

UPDATE - I cannot get the Powerbars to stay connected anytime I try to run the MH's through them. They fire up and then shut the system down after about 20-25 seconds. MH's are fine when plugged directly into the wall. Powerbars can't handle a couple 250W MH ballasts?
    Last edited by jporter; 15.05.2017 at 19:31.