Thread: Mitras LX 7000 for a planted tank - how many?

Default Mitras LX 7000 for a planted tank - how many?

Hi!

I’m planning new fresh water planted tank with dimensions 150×60×55 cm, volume 496L and capacity 415L.
    I’m considering Mitras LX 7006 as a light source. So question is how many Mitras units I need to obtain?
    I didn’t find light output specifications, so I only can rely on LED power consumption, which is 130W in high efficiency mode.
    To achieve 0,9W/L I should get 3 Mitras units.
    Is it a correct calculation?

regards,
    Dm

Hi,

For the best light coverage, I recommend using 3 fixtures. This setup will allow you to place your plants in the back and corners of the tank as there will still be plenty of light output in those areas.

Full product specifications can be found here:
    https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/pro...x-7000-series/

Clear, thank you!

Could you tell me, what else is needed to connect all 3 units together and to have them working in sync?
    Another question, I'm reading Mitrax manual, and it is not very clear, can I connect it to PC directly or I need ProfiLux controller for this?

Chapter 6.3 says:
    6.3 How to Connect between the Mitras LX7 and PC
    Two steps must be taken before your Mitras LX7 can be operated with a PC:
     PC and ProfiLux must be connected with a cable via USB
     The PC program GCC must be set up

Looks like I need ProfiLux if I want to use PC for the control, right?

Dm
    Last edited by Dmitri; 17.12.2016 at 21:38.

When you have more than 1 Mitras LX 7, one is set to MASTER and the others are set to slave. Slaves will wirelessly communicate with the master and will be in-sync with the main fixture.

With a ProfiLux 3 or 4, you can control them from the controller itself when you add a PLM-PWC expansion card. With this card, the ProfiLux becomes the master and fixtures become slave units.

In regards to connection options, most of the programming features are available to you when you use GHL Control Center. This connection is made via USB or WiFi. There is a USB port on the fixture itself. No ProfiLux is needed.

Hey Vinny!

Thank you for reply!
    It is clear now

regards,
    Dmitri

Vinny, another related question:
    What is the max aquarium length that can be comfortably supported with 3 Mitras LX 7 units? (having other 2 dimensions as before: ??? x 60 x 55 cm).

My project is not fixed yet - and I'm looking for best possible combination

Hi Dmitri,

The max workable tank length depends on how you plan to stock your aquarium. If there will be a heavy amount of plants, I would suggest going no longer than 185cm. If the tank will be moderately stocked with plants with not many plants on the ends of the aquarium, I would say the tank should be no longer than 230cm.

Very clear. Thanks!