Thread: Upgrade from PLC 5.17 to GCC

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Upgrade from PLC 5.17 to GCC

Like many other Profilux users, upgrading the Profilux firmware makes me shriver. I have been delaying it until I have realized that I must do it because I'm missing some interesting features. Now comes the bunch of problems. I use PLC 5.17 in Windows XP run via Parallels in Mac OS. GCC do not run in XP, so I installed Windows 8.1. Once Windows 8.1 was installed I downloaded and installed GCC. But you can not update to the right firmware directly from GCC, you have to do it from PLC. Therefore I downloaded and installed PLC 5.17 in Windows 8.1. First problem, Windows do not recognize the USB port. I remembered that you had to install the Prolific FT232R driver to be able to use a USB port, so I located a version for Windows 8.1 and downloaded it. No way. I have done it several times and there is no way that PLC in Windows 8.1 recognizes the USB port (I had no problem with this in Windows XP). By the way, this driver is no longer available from GGL download center.

Right now I'm stuck there and do not know what to do.Try to locate a laptop with RS232? (I would be luckier finding a T. rex around the corner). Even if I find this laptop who knows what version of Windows might it have, so most likely I should begin by installing one compatible with PLC 5.17 and GCC. Anyone knows a source for a driver, controller or whatever you call it that may allow PLC 5.17 to recognize a USB port under Windows 8.1?

There should be an easy way to do this.

Thanks for your help
    Last edited by chema61; 07.11.2016 at 12:23.