Thread: Upgrade from PLC 5.17 to GCC

Default Upgrade from PLC 5.17 to GCC

Like many other Profilux users, upgrading the Profilux firmware makes me shriver. I have been delaying it until I have realized that I must do it because I'm missing some interesting features. Now comes the bunch of problems. I use PLC 5.17 in Windows XP run via Parallels in Mac OS. GCC do not run in XP, so I installed Windows 8.1. Once Windows 8.1 was installed I downloaded and installed GCC. But you can not update to the right firmware directly from GCC, you have to do it from PLC. Therefore I downloaded and installed PLC 5.17 in Windows 8.1. First problem, Windows do not recognize the USB port. I remembered that you had to install the Prolific FT232R driver to be able to use a USB port, so I located a version for Windows 8.1 and downloaded it. No way. I have done it several times and there is no way that PLC in Windows 8.1 recognizes the USB port (I had no problem with this in Windows XP). By the way, this driver is no longer available from GGL download center.

Right now I'm stuck there and do not know what to do.Try to locate a laptop with RS232? (I would be luckier finding a T. rex around the corner). Even if I find this laptop who knows what version of Windows might it have, so most likely I should begin by installing one compatible with PLC 5.17 and GCC. Anyone knows a source for a driver, controller or whatever you call it that may allow PLC 5.17 to recognize a USB port under Windows 8.1?

There should be an easy way to do this.

Thanks for your help
    Last edited by chema61; 07.11.2016 at 12:23.

Finally, I could locate the right driver and now I have communication between the Profilux 3 and GCC and PLC under Windows 8.1. Hopefully the firmware and program updates would be feasible.

Please use ProfiLux Control to do the firmware update to the newest firmware version.

The new firmware can be found in the GHL Control Center folder when you download and install the software.

Hi Vinny, thanks for your response. When I download and unzip the GHL Control Center file the installation program installs GCC, but I do not see any GCC folder. However I have found this firmware file in the web page of GHL Spain: ProfiLux3_V627.mhx. Is this the new firmware you mean?

Regards

You will find the firmware file in the folder where the GCC is installed on your computer. Im not on my computer right now, but check c:/system32 (i think). You can also right click on the GCC icon and hit properties. I think you will find the Installation path there.

you find the filer here (64bit)
    C:\Program Files (x86)\GHLControlCenter_Vxxxx\Firmware\ProfiLux 3
    or here 32bit)
    C:\Program\GHLControlCenter_Vxxxx\Firmware\ProfiLu x 3
    the newest version is V6.29

keneil01, piwawt, thank you. I followed your advise and found all the firmware files. I'm a Mac guy. I learned how to manage with XP but knowing my way around 8.1 is taking time.

Regards