Thread: Mitras - LB or LX?

Default Mitras - LB or LX?

I am setting up a new 72" x 26" x 26" and have a couple of questions on lighting. This is a mixed tank - Fish, Softies, LPS and some SPS

1. The tank doesn't have a hood, but it is boxed in to the ceiling 1.4m above the tank and in this area I have an extractor fan that runs in a constant trickle and in a boost mode when humidity rises to dump moist air outside. I know that the LX lamps are not for hooded tanks, but is the environment I have OK for them or do I require light bars instead?

2. If LX, then I assume that four units is ample?

3. If Light bars then I believe I will need 160cm bars but unsure how many? Also, as 96w each, I can only run two on the largest power supply (240w) so how could 3 or 4 (if required) all be powered and controlled by a P3 or P4?

4. If light bars, then what mix of Ocean Blue / Actinic / Deep Actinic would be required

5. I have seen the splitters to enable more than one LB to be powered from the same supply, but additionally I have seen 'Active splitter' but no explanation of what that is or if it is required.

6. If both LX and LB are suitable, which would be the best choice and why?

Sorry for all the questions, but as this is such a massive investment it is best to get it right!

Thanks all

John

Correction to the above, the space above the tank is approx 75cm to the ceiling. Imagine it as a hood 75cm tall with extractor fan. Thanks

As long as the area will be well ventilated at all times, the LX series would do that size tank without a problem.

Given the distance the the LX would be from the hood to the bottom of the tank, 141cm, I would recommend 4 units.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
    As long as the area will be well ventilated at all times, the LX series would do that size tank without a problem.

Given the distance the the LX would be from the hood to the bottom of the tank, 141cm, I would recommend 4 units.
    Hi Vinny,

the distance is 75cm from top of the tank to the ceiling, the lights would be suspended lower - I am unsure what the correct distance is above the water - 6"?

We recommend you have at least a 10" space between the fixture and surface of the water.

10" minimum is fine.

So to confirm, at that height, 4 x Mitras LX 7 would be correct for a 72"x26"x26" tank?

Yes that is correct.