Thread: Lighting recommendations

Default Lighting recommendations

Hi Guys, I currently have 6x Mitras 6200 HV over my 100% sps stocked tank. I have had these lights for close to 3 years and I have tried multiple lighting scenarios and programs and nothing seems to be coloring up my corals like when I was running t5.

My tank is only stocked with Austrialin imported sps from the barrier reef supplied by Fauna Marin/ Extream corals

I originally had 3x 6100 and then when you launched the 6200 I moved over and replaced the pucks on the 6100 lights to 6200 as advice from my local fish shop in the uk.

I now notice GHL promote each light for different environment sets ups and I want to know what best pucks are recommended for my coral type that grow in 35meters of water in the wild.

I have asked ghl and they just pointed me here and after spending £5000 on lighting for my tank I'm hoping that I can actually get some feedback.

As said I have tried multiple setups/ramp up times/intensities/efficiencies but the color intensity doesn't seem to suit the corals. I'm currently running the barrier reef project of the user forums and I'm not keen lover of tanks looking under 16k

I know it's not a par issue and I have 2 par meters here and I have replicated the par from the T5 with the ghl it's another factor.

I run a full zeo it system with optimum water conditions so I know water chemistry

Any advice will be greatly appreciated to what pucks you recommend

Hi Richard,

Can you post screenshots of your light settings? Are all coral colors faded, dull, or dark?

Your 6200HV is sufficient to color up acros, it is a matter of tuning in your LED channels to the correct spectrum.

How long did you run one light program before trying out another one?

Hi Vinny.

when you want light setting do you want to know the lighting program through out the day or a screen shot to show, high output, fan speed and temp etc, regarding coloration they are dull in color rather than dark, I've been able to tweek greens or blues but then you loose pinks. My lighting periods have been for 4-6months at a time.

It would be good to get advice on tweaking the light program for sps as this is advice is defiantly missing from the GHL community.

Let me know what u need

The lighting program throughout the day would be very helpful.

Unfortunately, there is no one size fits most approach to adjusting LED spectrum for SPS corals. There are just too many variables that come into play:

Flow pattern in the tank, during of lighting, origin of coral and coral depths, and many more.

Do you prefer to have a bluer look to your tank or more on the whiter end of the spectrum?

This is currently the light program, I prefer lighting to be more white the blue but estheticley 14k look about the best as you get the best of both worlds growth and natural coloration.

Light run on high output with a 70% intensity for around 7 hours a day with a quick ramp up in the morning and slightly more gradual in the evening.

Every coral in the tank came from fauna Marin via EC and are only Australian imports so there used to depths of 35meters tops.

My flow is ample as I have 2 x mp60 running around 10-25% varied controlled by the ghl on reef crest.

What would be interesting would be to understand what light Chanel's(led color types) can in enhance each color.

image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    Last edited by RichardW; 29.06.2016 at 19:38.

I'm also interested to understand why ghl are marketing 6100 as shallow reef lighting rather then the 6200 which is for deep corals. Surely corals from the barrier reef would fall into shallow reef lighting envoiroments would they not?

send me your mail, and i will send you my project file. I have ausi corals from extreme aswell, and they have nice color and growth....

also have you thought about mabye the corals are getting to much light? i run my lamps at 60% power in high effency mode, anything about that and i can see my corals start to stress due to the light.

Sent you a pm with my email thanks. Yes tried lowering light etc. I'm not saying I can't get colors from my corals but the difference between my t5 and the LEDs is significantly different. Be interested to see your program

I'm also interested to understand why ghl are marketing 6100 as shallow reef lighting rather then the 6200 which is for deep corals. Surely corals from the barrier reef would fall into shallow reef lighting envoiroments would they not?
    The 6200HV has additional 6 Osram Sl Skywhite installed. Through this, one has more lumens with the same amount of watts over the 6100X. It it also increases the amount of blue, this does more light into the deeper area of the tank