Thread: Socket won't turn off

Default Socket won't turn off

The S5 socket on one of my power bar 5.1 seems to be stuck on.
    First I had assigned an illumination channel to it, then a simple timer and in neither instance would it turn off when it was supposed to.
    And now I just set it to Always Off and it's still on.
    In GCC it says that socket is off.

Any ideas???
    -dennis

Socket 5 is the dimmable socket and can drive only 2A.

Maybe an overload peak killed the MOSFET but was not long enough to blow the fuse. Can happen with some (cheap Chinese) switching power supplies or MH ballasts for instance.

-> I fear that the PB must be repaired - please contact the GHL support directly
    No support or warranty issues over PM! Please send PMs to the moderators only if you have general problems with using the forum! Thanks for helping us to keep the support efficient.
    Kein Support oder Reklamationsabwicklung über PM! Bitte senden Sie an die Moderatoren nur PMs bei allgemeinen Problemen mit der Verwendung des Forums! Danke dass Sie uns dabei helfen, den Support effektiv zu gestalten.

I think the light is only 1.3 amps?
    This is the one I'm using... Mars Hydro 300.
    https://www.amazon.com/MarsHydro-Mar.../dp/B00XC3LBI2

I'll contact Vinny today.
    -dennis

I think the light is only 1.3 amps?
    Unfortunately the start current of some power adapters (especally the very cheap one) is up to 5-8x the nominal current.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunther View Post
    Unfortunately the start current of some power adapters (especally the very cheap one) is up to 5-8x the nominal current.
    Well how is anyone supposed to know what the start up current is?
    I figured this socket was meant for LED lights since it's dimmable.
    I already can't use the non-switchable socket. And now I don't know what if anything I can plug into the dimmable one?
    So that leaves me 4 sockets per power bar?
    I hope that's not the case.
    -dennis

Unfortunately dimming of LED systems isn´t that simple (mostly).
    You have to ensure your LED system is dimable by dimming of AC input.
    If this isn´t allowed/provided, the device isn´t dimable.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunther View Post
    Unfortunately dimming of LED systems isn´t that simple (mostly).
    You have to ensure your LED system is dimable by dimming of AC input.
    If this isn´t allowed/provided, the device isn´t dimable.
    I wasn't saying I was trying to use the dimmable feature.
    Since it's a dimmable socket, it seems logical that it could be used for a simple LED light, because what else besides a light would be dimmable?
    -dennis

Quote Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
    Well how is anyone supposed to know what the start up current is?
    I already can't use the non-switchable socket. And now I don't know what if anything I can plug into the dimmable one?
    So that leaves me 4 sockets per power bar?
    I hope that's not the case.
    I think this already solved - as far as I know you get a new PB for free - or is there anything else which needs to be cleared?
    No support or warranty issues over PM! Please send PMs to the moderators only if you have general problems with using the forum! Thanks for helping us to keep the support efficient.
    Kein Support oder Reklamationsabwicklung über PM! Bitte senden Sie an die Moderatoren nur PMs bei allgemeinen Problemen mit der Verwendung des Forums! Danke dass Sie uns dabei helfen, den Support effektiv zu gestalten.

off the main topic, but still important:
    you can't dim any light over the AC line when it has a AC/DC power supply

the dimmable light (e.g.: standard bulb) must be connected directly to the mains voltage

Quote Originally Posted by Matthias View Post
    I think this already solved - as far as I know you get a new PB for free - or is there anything else which needs to be cleared?
    Yes, replacement is on the way, thank you very much.

What I'm trying to clear up is making sure that I'm not doing something with this socket that I'm not supposed to so it does not need to be replaced AGAIN.
    The amperage listed in the specs of this LED light seems to be within the specs of what this socket is rated at. Gunther mentioned that it could spike higher during startup. How could anyone know how high that spike could be?
    So I want to make sure this isn't something I need to be worried about in the future.

I initially created an Illumination channel that had no ramp up or down. Or at least didn't appear to have one.
    I know, kind of pointless, but I guess my OCD thought it would make sense to have any lighting timer in GCC located under Illumination.
    On my previous tank, all my Halides and T5's were turned on and off with Illumination channels.
    Now I'll just stick to using a standard Timer channel to avoid any potential problems with this socket.
    -dennis