Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Meanwell ELN-60-48D LED Driver

Thanks for that.
    I too am not sure that the meanwell LED driver really needs a cut off. Based on the information I have read on the Nanoreef forum, it isn't, but I will post up something there seeking confirmation.
    I guess in my scenario, I already have an EVG-AP 2F that will become redundant when I change from T5's to LED's so I should either utilise that card or find somebody else with a Profilux system in New Zealand that might be interested in buying my EVG card, Ballasts and individual reflectors.

yes, 1-10 Volt line are limited at 10 with ProfiLux 2 series. 8 for light controlling and 2 for things like pump controlling or fan controlling.
    Just to clarify my intended setup:
    I am having 12 dimmable LED drivers. I am intending on using only 4 channels on the profilux to control these. So would need each of the 4 L channels to control 3 meanwell LED drivers.
    Can each of the L channels do this?

Ok this is the reply I got on the nano reef forum regarding the 2 different cards:
    [quote name='evilc66' date='Nov 17 2009, 01:20 PM' post='2528338']
    Either or. At 0v, there is no ooutput from the driver. No need for a relay at that point. The relay might be nice to shut the AC side of the driver off when not used just to save a little power usage. It's not required though to get full range of usage.
    [/quote]
    The person who replied is the resident LED guru on that forum. So I am happy with that part and will proceed with using the LBFAP card based on the understanding that 2 L channels (L1,L2) can be connected to it.

All I need to know now is the answer to the above question about any limitation that each L channel might have on the number of devices it controls. In this case the intention is for that to be 3 meanwell LED drivers per channel (L3,L4,L5,L6) in addition to one stream (hopefully vortech MP40!?!?) on each of the other 2 channels (L1,L2)

you can set the output min voltage (is output at 1%): standard = 1V
    and the max voltage (output at 100%): standard = 10V

independent form these settings the output will always be 0V at 0% -> in your case the LED drivers will shut at 0%, no extra shut off neccessary.

Quote Originally Posted by camnbron View Post
    All I need to know now is the answer to the above question about any limitation that each L channel might have on the number of devices it controls. In this case the intention is for that to be 3 meanwell LED drivers per channel (L3,L4,L5,L6) in addition to one stream (hopefully vortech MP40!?!?) on each of the other 2 channels (L1,L2)
    but I don't understand this question

each channel controls one device, of course you can connect several devices to one channel in parallel, they will do the same

Sorry for the confusion Matthias.
    I'm not very good at describing things, but I believe you have answered my question anyway lol. Here is another way of describing what I am intending on doing:

This is a more correct description:
    L1 = 1 x Stream (hopefully vortech)
    L2 = 1 x Stream (hopefully vortech)
    L3 = 3 x Meanwell LED Drivers (in parallel) each powering 13 3w White Cree LED's
    L4 = 3 x Meanwell LED Drivers (in parallel) each powering 13 3w Royal blue Cree LED's
    L5 = 3 x Meanwell LED Drivers (in parallel) each powering 13 3w White Cree LED's
    L6 = 3 x Meanwell LED Drivers (in parallel) each powering 13 3w Royal blue Cree LED's
    There will be 3 modules or panels of LEDs each with 4 Meanwell LED Drivers controlled by each of the L ports in parallel

The L- ports will be connected to the meanwell drivers via 2 LBF-AP control boards

I was just concerned that the number of devices I am going to be controlling off the L ports might be too much.
    Last edited by camnbron; 17.11.2009 at 11:55. Reason: clarification

two questions

1) does the LB-FAP box close?? It looks like it is a box and in the pictures it is open, but perhaps it stays open like that all the time? reason i'm asking is that if the green board the chip is on is always exposed i would want to put that into a project box to hide it.

2) i have been assuming that with the LB-FAP i will be able to have full control over the LEDS in the same way people have used it for commercial LED systems. It will allow you do use the cloud settings and variable illumination settings in the profilux right? Can you confirm? thank you!
    Last edited by jonnybravo22; 17.11.2009 at 16:15.

camnbron,

this configuration makes sense. You have only to keep in mind that you don't draw more than approx. 10mA from one 1-10V-interface (check the datasheet of the LED-driver).

jonny,
    the box comes with a cover and all illumination control features can be used

These drivers run at 3.3ma at 10v.
    3 of them should be the limit per channel.

Default Meanwell

I think it should work but running 3 drivers in parallel would be bit risky... Ask Evil66 I am sure he be able to assist you.... Have you ever consider buying 2 plug bars? Try this as it may give you much better control over your unit?

If nothing works then you could always keep your 6 Meanwell drivers on one timer for Royal Blue and other 6 drivers for white LEDs with timer to come ON and switch OFF at set time. Now you could incorporate ProfiLux simulation sticks to do all those stormy scene etc...

Let us know how you get along...

Good luck..

Thanks for that Luisagos saved me finding it

Hi nallaak.
    I think you might having the 1-10v dimming control signal to the Meanwell Driver confused with the output from the Meanwell Driver to the actual LED's, but I'll still go and query the guru!
    I know there is a risk when running LED's in parallel and one fails that has been raised in topic discussions on the Nano-reef forum
    Running them off the L-ports should give me better control than using another power bar, I have this at the moment with 4 x 54w T5 tubes using dimmable osram powertronic ballasts and found this to be really good for simulating sunrise and sunset.

The 13 LED's for each driver will be wired in series and I am intending on having a 1:1 mix of Cree XR-E LED's on each of the panels like this:

O B W B W B W O
    B W B W B W B W
    W B W B W B W B
    B W B W B W B W
    W B W B W B W B
    B W B W B W B W
    O B W B W B W O = 52 LED's, O denotes vacant position, no LED present
    and utilising the Profilux L-ports to dim them up and down as required - General lighting, storms, night lighting etc,.
    I think the panels will be situated over some formations, leaving a couple of dark spots intentionally

But that's the plan anyway!
    Last edited by camnbron; 19.11.2009 at 06:16.