Thread: How to hang Mitras Lightbar from the ceiling?

Default How to hang Mitras Lightbar from the ceiling?

Hello everybody. My first post in the forum after receiving a box of GHL goodies yesterday :-)

I have purchased a 160 cm Mitras lightbar (Daylight) for my South-American cichlid tank which is 200 cm long. After putting it over the tank yesterday I can say that it is a fantastic light, very pleasant rendition and more than enough to light my tank (which will not be planted).

For several reasons I would prefer to hang the lightbar from the ceiling. Is this possible?

I have already purchased the Z-holder for Mitras lightbars as it was my understanding that these are to be used to fix the lightbar to whatever mounting system is used. Can simply I use the GHL-Profilux Suspension Set (or a similar hanging wire kit, like the one from Giesemann) to connect to Z-holders and hang the lights? If necessary, drilling additional holes in the Z-holder is not be a problem for me.

The tank is an open-top tank and is positioned in a separate aquarium room - aesthetics of the mounting solution is not very important.

Marko

Hallo Marko
    take a10 or 20 cm aluminum profile and screw the Z-holder on the profile. At the profiles, you can then attach the tightrope. This prevents tilt or twist the lightbar.

regardt Pit

Thanks, Pit! Will try this.

Hi, can you post a pic of what you came up with ?

......also, does anyone know the minimum mounting distance from the waters surface?

Hi Dumaurier,

sorry that I missed your question - I rarely visit the forum.

What I eventually did is that for starters I indeed simply drilled holes into the Z-holder and hung the lightbar with the Profilux suspension set. As Pit has kindly hinted, this introduces a certain degree of twist of the lightbar, meaning it is not exactly parallel to the water surface. Since in my case this does not matter - I am illuminating a South American river tank with floating plants only, so light penetration efficiency is not important to me - I simply stuck with this solution.

For precise alignement of the lightbar the solution which Pit proposed would be required. But from a purely mechanical point of view, Z-holder is strong enough to hold my 150 cm lightbar.

Marko