Thread: how often to replace ph, orp, temp, and salinity probes?

Default how often to replace ph, orp, temp, and salinity probes?

title says it all thanks!

Hi,

Replacement time will depend on the environment where the probes are located, how often they are cleaned, and calibrated.

pH and Redox probes can operate normally for over 1 year if proper maintenance is performed. Salinity probes can also last over 1 year, some have even been able to use them into the second year. Temp probes do not require calibration as they are already calibrated from the factory; they can last about 2 years.

thanks Vinny! when you say temp probes are already calibrated from the factory does that mean i should have calibrated my ph, redox, and salinity probes when they were brand new too? as well i was wondering when calibrating i normally just dip it straight into the bottles for example for ph i'll dip the probe into solution 1 (ph7) then dry it off with a towel then dip it into solution 2 (ph9) is this not good practice? should i instead pour the solutions into a separate cups every time i calibrate so i don't risk contaminating the bottles or am i fine the way i already do it?
    Last edited by johnfallon135; 20.01.2016 at 20:20.

Yes we do ask that you calibrate those probes before putting them to use.

During the calibration process, it is better to pour a small amount of fluid into separate cups and discard after using them. Doing this will avoid possible contamination to the fluid.

awesome. finally, which solutions need to be at tank temperature before calibrating? or it doesn't matter what temperature they're at? and how long do the solutions last because there's no expiration on them?

It would be best to have the solutions for the pH, redox, and salinity probes at tank temperature when calibrating.

For example, during the salinity probe calibration, you are asked for the temperature of the solution. This number should match the reading of the tank temperature according to the temp probe.