Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wireless lan

Default Wireless lan

I can not connect through my WLAN card. I can connect to it directly and look at its configuration which has the right ssid, static IP address, baud rate of 9600 on serial 1 and the baud is set as 9600 on the WLAN serial part of the Profilux. I have set the static IP address in the connection dialog box of the profilux software and if I hit configure it takes me to the cards configuration page.

However, it will never actually connect through the Profilux software. Both the green and red lights on the wlan card are on and the red stays permanently red and does not flicker (which seems suspect to me). My firewall is turned off.

I have a USB serial card installed also. When connected by USB, I can see the WLAN card in the systems section and it appears to accept the SSID and IP address when I type then in here. When I save on the configuration screen, the Profilux gives a message saying it is resetting the module so it can clearly see it.

Any ideas on what might be wrong?

can you access the WLAN-card with internet explorer?
    (enter IP in the address line of the IE)

Yes I can access it and change any of its properties such as the serial baud rate. Does not appear changing any of these has any affect. The only change seems to be changing the radio management button which seems to mean the red light no longer stays constantly red but starts to flicker (I guess more what I would expect). But in either radio mode I can access the card (I am an IT geek for a living so I am pretty good around wireless networks etc) from IE or Firefox (I think they have a bug with Safari as the card configuration does not display properly)

Regards

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Matthias View Post
    can you access the WLAN-card with internet explorer?
    (enter IP in the address line of the IE)

The WLAN (and LAN) card uses port 10001 for communication. Is there anything blocking it?
    You should not change anything in the Lantronix settings (besides SSID and IP, later the security). If you are not sure what you already have changed -> I recommend to restore the defaults and then go from there.

Default Wireless LAN

I can not see anything blocking Port 10001 (firewall is turned off and I have tried XP and Vista) and if I wireshark (packet sniff) the network I can see some IP traffic using SCP-protocol going between my laptop and the wireless lan card on port 10001. Also, not sure if you have seen www.reefiris.com but this allows remote tracking of a Profilux. I can see their website hitting my external router, port forwarding it to the right IP address and port of the wlan card but still not getting a connection with the Profilux.

I have reset the card on several occasions having tried playing with some parameters so I don't think it is card parameters. Is there any log internal to the Profilux I can look at to see if there is a problem with the card talking to the Profilux. I assume it does this over the serial port channel 1?

Simon

The WLAN (and LAN) card uses port 10001 for communication. Is there anything blocking it?
    You should not change anything in the Lantronix settings (besides SSID and IP, later the security). If you are not sure what you already have changed -> I recommend to restore the defaults and then go from there.

Also, is there anyway for me to telnet or use some other utility to see whether I can get commands to port 10001 to see if there is some odd block somewhere?

Simon

Matthias

Not sure if it will help but I used ReefStatus (thanks xiaan) to see whether it would connect as well and got the following error 'Unable to Read Data packet. A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond'.

I have also attached the wireshark packet trace if this might shed some light.

Thanks

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by posts View Post
    Also, is there anyway for me to telnet or use some other utility to see whether I can get commands to port 10001 to see if there is some odd block somewhere?

Simon
    Attached Files Attached Files

It is COM2 (COM1 is the built-in RS232) and there you should have 9600 baud.

You can try to use another slot if you think a slot is damaged. But you have no chance to test if the ProfiLux-side of the WLAN-card is working.

But I don't think this is a hardware problem. Did you try a ad-hoc connection as a test?

Yes I have tried an adhoc test and I have tried the card in a different slot. The serial port I was referring to is on the wlan card not the Profilux. Could the USB card be conflicting even though it is not actively connected to the PC software when I am trying to connect through the wlan?

Simon

It is COM2 (COM1 is the built-in RS232) and there you should have 9600 baud.

You can try to use another slot if you think a slot is damaged. But you have no chance to test if the ProfiLux-side of the WLAN-card is working.

But I don't think this is a hardware problem. Did you try a ad-hoc connection as a test?

USB and WLAN work together without any side-effects or conflicts. Yes it is COM1 on the WLAN-side.
    Summary:
    - you are sure that all settings in ProfiLux and your home network are correct
    - another slot does not work either
    - settings in ProfiLuxControl are correct (BTW: did you try to use "search automatically"?)
    - the Lantronix configuration page can be accessed
    Correct?
    Then the WLAN-card might be defective. Not very likely but not impossible.
    If you think the card is damaged then please contact your retailer.