Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Upgraded FW (6.2), Having Issues Calibrating pH Probes

Default Upgraded FW (6.2), Having Issues Calibrating pH Probes

Hoping someone could provide some insight.

I upgraded my Profilux 3EX to 6.2 FW. I then had to recalibrate my pH probes. My first pH is for the main tank, using 7 pH to 9pH calibration. The second is for inside of my GEO Calcium Reactor, using 4 pH to 7 pH calibration.

Initially, I had issues configuring either one and the values stuck at 10.5 pH. After multiple attempts, I was able to configure the first probe and its reading was correct. Then, I configured the second probe and its reading was correct. However, it seems that configuring the second probe affected the readings for the first probe as it declined all the way to 3 pH and stuck there. So I decided to reboot the Profilux and now both probes are reading 3 pH.

Both probes are fairly new.

pH1 and pH2 Settings.png

Any insight would be greatly appreciated as its been a frustrating day dealing with this.

Regards,

Joseph
    Last edited by regala; 09.11.2015 at 14:23.

Hi Joseph,

If you disconnect one of the probes, does the readings of the other probe change?

Unfortunately, no... here are the steps I did afterwards:

- disabed the second pH probe
    - disconnected the second pH probe
    - rebooted the Profilux

The first pH probe still reporting 3 pH, so I disabled/enabled it again... still no difference.

I guess at this point, I need to ask... is there a specific order of steps that I need to follow in order to first, calibrate the first pH probe, then calibrate the second pH probe? I looked for a manual regarding the expansion card for the second pH probe but couldn't find one. Also, are there any recommended values that I should specify in the settings, as shown in the screenshot I included?

Hi

the last ProfiLux firmware updates didn't deal in any way with the sensors, we had no other complaints, so I must rule out that there is any relation to the firmware update, I guess a coincidence.

No, there is no special order to do a calibration and the sensors dont affect each other, all sensor control ciruits are strictly separated.
    So it does not matter when you calibrate which one.

In the screenshots I see very suspicious calibration values, the ADC1 and ADC2 of each probe have nearly the same value and the value are all too low.
    With these wrong calibration values ProfiLux is not able to calculate the correct pH value, that's why you see nonsense values like "3.00"

This shows either:
    - wrong calibration process
    - defective probe - probes have a lifetime of 6 ... 24 months, depending on the environment, can be shorter if the probes dried out
    - defective pH-port in the ProfiLux - but I doubt that, this is very rare, and I can't imagine that 2 ports are dead at the same time
    No support or warranty issues over PM! Please send PMs to the moderators only if you have general problems with using the forum! Thanks for helping us to keep the support efficient.
    Kein Support oder Reklamationsabwicklung über PM! Bitte senden Sie an die Moderatoren nur PMs bei allgemeinen Problemen mit der Verwendung des Forums! Danke dass Sie uns dabei helfen, den Support effektiv zu gestalten.

When calibrating the pH probes, I was suspicious that there was an issue. I've calibrated them before and usually it would take a while to count down from 899s while configuring... however, the Profilux now beeps after about a minute.

Anyways, I thought that perhaps an issue occurred when I reloaded back my settings that I saved before upgrading... previously, it was from version 6.14. Anyways, I did a factory reset on the settings and reconfigured everything manually but the same issue occurs. Now, I've decided to downgrade to 6.19 and try to configure... hopefully I have better luck. I'll let you know after my attempt. In the interim, if you have any other suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by regala View Post
    When calibrating the pH probes, I was suspicious that there was an issue. I've calibrated them before and usually it would take a while to count down from 899s while configuring... however, the Profilux now beeps after about a minute.

Anyways, I thought that perhaps an issue occurred when I reloaded back my settings that I saved before upgrading... previously, it was from version 6.14. Anyways, I did a factory reset on the settings and reconfigured everything manually but the same issue occurs. Now, I've decided to downgrade to 6.19 and try to configure... hopefully I have better luck. I'll let you know after my attempt. In the interim, if you have any other suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.
    Hello,
    I've the same problem with My ph probe since firmware update... I changed with a new probe, same problem.

Just to confirm I have had the EXACT same thing see my post I am also getting 0.00ms on my conductivity probes which have been working for ages.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthias View Post
    Hi

the last ProfiLux firmware updates didn't deal in any way with the sensors, we had no other complaints, so I must rule out that there is any relation to the firmware update, I guess a coincidence.

No, there is no special order to do a calibration and the sensors dont affect each other, all sensor control ciruits are strictly separated.
    So it does not matter when you calibrate which one.

In the screenshots I see very suspicious calibration values, the ADC1 and ADC2 of each probe have nearly the same value and the value are all too low.
    With these wrong calibration values ProfiLux is not able to calculate the correct pH value, that's why you see nonsense values like "3.00"

This shows either:
    - wrong calibration process
    - defective probe - probes have a lifetime of 6 ... 24 months, depending on the environment, can be shorter if the probes dried out
    - defective pH-port in the ProfiLux - but I doubt that, this is very rare, and I can't imagine that 2 ports are dead at the same time
    @Matthias - I am not sure that
    the last ProfiLux firmware updates didn't deal in any way with the sensors, we had no other complaints, so I must rule out that there is any relation to the firmware update, I guess a coincidence
    is correct.

Let me explain:

1. I am experiencing the exact same thing, including some unexplained results on my conductivity probes (which incidentally worked perfectly on / or prior to 6.2 update.....) - See the post here
    2. You now have three users with the exact same issue: re-calibration of working PH probes that get the same effect - Probes reading 3ph... it is a huge coincidence that after the firmware upgrade to the same firmware - 6.2 - three people around the world that re-calibrated their probes and get the same result - 3.00ph. I have used a new probe and same result. You have me, @regala and @leponex with the same results. - Unfortunately I went and re-calibrated my conductivity probes and have similar issues (see below)

3. To rule OUT PH port on profilux I used my SPARE PH port (in my post you will see that I have three PH ports one of which is not used) to calibrate the current PH probe and a new PH probe. Same result - 3,00ph.

In my case I re-calibrated my conductivity probes as well and I get the same "weird behavior" when calibrating (take over 10 minutes to calibrate) and the end result is both probes are now sitting at 0.00ms..... regardless if I change ports, take the probe out the water it never changes it sits at 0.00ms.
    The calibration process I followed was as per you manual. Using the calibration fluids from Profilux. I have a independant PH meter which I use to test my proflux readings. It runs on its on system and I can for sure say my tank is at 8.4PH, I can also confirm the calibration fluids are correct 4 and 7 as I measured them with the independent PH probe.

To help with the investigation I have used independent testers to verify that the calibration fluids are correct: PH is 4 an 7 and conductivity at 25 degrees is sitting at 50ms. So we can rule out false or expired calibration fluids.
    Which then turns to probes, I have tested new probes on different ports - this was to rule out both the Probe being faulty and the Port being faulty - Same result - incorrect readings.
    I then tested the actual tank water to see if the probe was reading correctly - 3.0ph and 0.0ms - even though a simple view of my beautiful SPS and Tanks mates would of already given me an answer I did it scientifically and my readings using the independent readings was PH 8.4 and 51ms.

Which in fact once again turns to the last change to the system - firmware 6.2.....
    I am not sure what has happened but something is definitely not right - everything was working perfectly before the change. I can't see how all the probes would become faulty all at the same time.

Looking forward to your response as currently my profilux system is pretty useless.

@Matthias or any GHL help

Any update on this>

same problem here i tied to calibrate my conductivity salinity and ph and am getting 10.5 on the ghl controller

and in my expansion box am getting 0 for the mms and ph stuck at 10.5

i thought my probes were the problem but obviously not

any help please
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by myprofilux View Post
    @Matthias or any GHL help

Any update on this>