Thread: "Soft Start" for AC pumps (like return pumps)

Default "Soft Start" for AC pumps (like return pumps)

Is there such a function? I do remember my Aquacontroller Jr did have this type of "soft start" function for return/circulation pumps. The claim is that it reduces wear and tear on motor startup. How it does this I'm not sure, but it seems to ramp up power to the device quickly over about a second or so rather than "instant on" ...

yes, this is possible, but therefore you need our dimmable powerbar

I am not sure if this effort is worth it - is the return pump so often switched on and off?

I think many folks plan on switching the return pumps off for feed cycles (2-3 times daily). At least I do ...

I just added this feature in firmware 5.00
    what ramp duration is making most sense in your opinion?

Well if we need a dimmable powerbar, then we will need a pump capable of ac voltage control, right? I'm not sure and haven't been sure what AC pumps would do well with this. I've been told not to use AC voltage variation to control the speed of reeflo pumps that seem so popular. If you plan on implementing it in the next firmware, I presume it would only be for a pump on the dimmable powerbar. In this case, I'm guessing that 1 second or less would be sufficient.

It seems "soft start" as Neptune and Digital Aquatics call it is simply engaging power to the socket in question at the zero crossing of the AC sine wave. Maybe others can chime in about it's usefulness, but I power cycled a pump for 3-4 years daily with the soft start, and the pump is still functional. Power up was pretty silent with what I noticed was just a slight ramp up or pause before power on. Maybe that "pause" was the controller waiting for the zero crossing of the AC sine wave ...

"It seems "soft start" as Neptune and Digital Aquatics call it is simply engaging power to the socket in question at the zero crossing of the AC sine wave"
    -> if this would really be the case: this is completely nonsense in my opinion