Thread: USBVCOM crashes Windows

Default USBVCOM crashes Windows

I have a GHL Doser 2 and am attempting to update the firmware from 1.12 to 1.13. I am using Windows 10. The default USB driver was Microsoft's. I changed the driver to USBVCOM which was successful. COM port is 3. When starting GHL Control Center v1074 with USB connected, Windows will crash with a system_thread_exception_not_handled (ucx01000.sys) error.

I have tried uninstalling the USBVCOM driver, deleting it from the computer, then re-adding it. I still experience the same problem. I tried this both with Control Center closed and open. When closed the driver installs. When Control Center is open and I attempt to re-install the driver the installation fails.

It may be an issue with Win10. We have not announced full support for Win10 so there may be driver issues.

Manually install the USBVCOM driver with GCC closed, then startup GCC and proceed with the update.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
    It may be an issue with Win10. We have not announced full support for Win10 so there may be driver issues.

Manually install the USBVCOM driver with GCC closed, then startup GCC and proceed with the update.
    I installed USBVCOM with GCC closed. When I start GCC after that it hangs.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnseye View Post
    I installed USBVCOM with GCC closed. When I start GCC after that it hangs.
    GHL, do you have any other suggestions? What will you be doing for most of the people in this world who upgraded from Windows 8 to 10? Considering that was a free upgrade from Microsoft I would expect most people to be doing this.

We will be providing support for Win10 in the near future. The upgrade is an option and there are risks involved when upgrading and using software that has not been announced as officially supporting Win10. This applies to other software, not just GCC.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
    We will be providing support for Win10 in the near future. The upgrade is an option and there are risks involved when upgrading and using software that has not been announced as officially supporting Win10. This applies to other software, not just GCC.
    So in the mean time you do not recommend updating to 1.13 or using myGHL? GCC works fine on Windows 10. I have had no issues with your software, other than it doesn't log.

The reason for the crashes when USBVCOM is loaded could have something to do with the OS. If you have not been able to perform the update using Win10, then perhaps you can do the update using a PC with Win 8 or 8.1

Once you've updated it, you can proceed with adding the doser to your myGHL account.