Thread: PTC Review

Daumen hoch PTC Review

I have a PTC 6 controlling the temperature for my tank, which is 120g with a 10g refugium. For lighting, I have two 250W MH bulbs and four 54W T5 tubes.

The ambient room temperature during winter time is around 23 degrees celcius during the day and 17 degrees celcius at night.

The temperature control is set at 25.5 degrees celcius (77.9 F) during the day and 24.5 degrees (76.1 F) at night.

The pump for for the PTC6 is an Eheim 1048 which is pumping the water through 6 meters of 1/2" tubing to the PTC6 which is in a room behind
    the tank on a rack 1 meter above the ground. The Eheim 1048 pumping water to 1 meter in height will have a flow rate of 200 l/hr (the mid
    point of the PTC specs.).

Prior to using the PTC for temperature control, I was using a Propeller Breeze 4 and two 250W Stealth heaters.

With the PTC 6, the temperature stays within 0.1 degrees of the temperature settings for the majority of the time during the day and night . The temperature is maintained at fairly constant levels and the large peaks and valleys of temperature swings have been eliminated. The tank spends more time at the desired temperature.

I have the hysteresis of the temperature control to 0.2 degrees and PTC will operate at max power when the temperature variation is 0.5 degrees.

If I wanted to decrease the temperature variation further, I could reduce the amount when the PTC operates at max power (to 0.2 degrees etc.). This feature enables you to choose how quickly you want the PTC to ramp up - cost benefit between your electricity bill and temperature control.

The PTC6 is currently using about 2.75kWh per day. I'm paying about $0.07 per kWh (marginal cost) so it costs about $0.19 per day to run or $6 per month during the winter.
    Last edited by Ken250; 24.02.2009 at 18:59.

Great review Ken, please keep it coming

GHL ProfiLux Canada/USA Distribution and support

Do you think it would work on a 180g ?
    180g 4'x3'x2'
    2 400w MH
    2 110w VHO
    Profulix top model
    Cond.
    PH
    Redox
    Temp
    Simu-stick

On it's way
    PTC 6
    "Starfire FM 10 Bulb Dimmable"

We would require much more info to make a proper assessment!

Room temperature, How many watts of mh, closed canopy or not and more stuff

Matthias will jump in and tell you what he need as far as the info he require.

Hey Lorin check it out http://www.zeovit.com/forums/showthr...324#post145324

MH are 16" above the water
    180g 4'x3'x2'
    2 400w MH
    2 110w VHO
    Profulix top model
    Cond.
    PH
    Redox
    Temp
    Simu-stick

On it's way
    PTC 6
    "Starfire FM 10 Bulb Dimmable"

How many degree do you need to pull down?

Basically if there is no chiller, how high does the temperature go? and what do you want it to?

Nick,

Great looking build, your tank is going to be something to follow.

Based on the specs, the PTC6 is designed for 600 liters or 160 gallons, so 180g is likely not unreasonable, but pushing it perhaps - it will really depend on the differential between the ambient room temperature and the desired temperature of your tank. If your room is a few degrees cooler, I would think that it should be within the capabilities, but if your room is close to the tank's temperature (ie. in the summer), then it's going to be working pretty hard.

My most efficient and economical cooling is the propeller breeze fan... it's tough for anything to beat evaporative cooling. It brings the temperature down about 3C in the summer. Combined with the PTC6, I feel that I have the most efficient and stable temperature possible.

Are you looking to replace your current chiller or supplement it?

Lorin there is a 1/2 hp now thats why i linked our build thread.

Ken thanks bro much appreciated
    180g 4'x3'x2'
    2 400w MH
    2 110w VHO
    Profulix top model
    Cond.
    PH
    Redox
    Temp
    Simu-stick

On it's way
    PTC 6