Thread: GHL Doser 2 - firmware update not installing.

Default GHL Doser 2 - firmware update not installing.

Hi,

I am unable to update my firmware for the GHL Doser 2 from version 1.06 to 1.07, without which I can't install MyGHL.
    As I am due to travel soon and am away frequently, being able to control my doser from the Cloud is the ideal solution for me and was one of the main reasons I bought this doser to begin with.

The update process appears to work as required, but at step 4 I get an error message stating that the update can't be started and needs to be reset by disconnecting it.
    The attached screenshots show the process and where it fails.
    Disconnecting the device does not help and I get stuck at a message stating "The update is in progress..."
    This message sits on the screen and even if left for an hour the software does not update.
    I have attempted the update multiple times without success. No other devices are connected to the Doser while attempting to upgrade.

Is there any other way I an update the firmware?

GHL Doser 2 - firmware update screenshots.pdf

Thanks,

Colin.

Hello,

we have a step by step manual for updating the doser firmware. You can find it in our download area: https://aquariumcomputer.com/en-GB/ghldownloads

The firmware update only works with Windows or Windows installed on a Mac with bootcamp. If you use Parallels it will not work because Parallels has a driver problem.
    No support or warranty issues over PM! Please send PMs to the moderators only if you have general problems with using the forum! Thanks for helping us to keep the support efficient.
    Kein Support oder Reklamationsabwicklung über PM! Bitte senden Sie an die Moderatoren nur PMs bei allgemeinen Problemen mit der Verwendung des Forums! Danke dass Sie uns dabei helfen, den Support effektiv zu gestalten.

I waited until today to attempt to update the firmware as I'm due to travel tomorrow for a few days.
    My errors continued as I'd previously outlined, so today I also attempted to follow the instructions listed in this document:
    Emergency update GHL-Doser2.pdf
    Again, this did not work either.
    Now when attempting to open GHL Control Center - regardless of whether or not the device is connected to the USB I have the software hanging.
    Error in Emergency update.pdf

One other thing to highlight - in the first pdf you can see I am trying to use port - COM 7.
    In the second pdf you can see that the Device Manager lists GHL Virtual Communications Port (COM 7).

The error message is "ERROR!!
    No.006 Unable to open COM port"

The Error message list in flashe.html describes No.006 as -

Cause: Another application is using COM.
    Action:Please check the use situation and port number of a COM port.

The screenshots show the port is COM 7.

Any advice in upgrading my firmware and avoiding the hanging application would be appreciated.

Hi Colin,

When you proceeded with the regular update, did the GHL logo light turn off? If not, then you would have to repeat the steps a second time until it does turn off. When this light turns off, it means the doser is ready for the update. If it did turn off, may you have to uninstall then reinstall the USB driver. I suggest trying this first before doing anything with the emergency update. That kind of update is for when the doser is completely unresponsive and does not respond to any USB connection.

The reason why you were getting that error in the flasher tool is because you are suppose to see "USBVCOM" in device manager, not "GHL Virtual Communications Port". The illustration in the Emergency Update Manual will show you what you're suppose to see on your computer screen.
    Last edited by Vinny; 05.08.2015 at 17:27.