Thread: Contactless level sensor

Default Contactless level sensor

Hi all.

Today one of the contactless level sensors stop working.

Its the lower level sensor that stops the water draining when AWC is activated.

But, the sensor is still shown with an X in Profilux Control though it did not activate the fill function when the water level fell below it.

No matter how far i turn the potentiometer the red light does not illuminate.

Has it failed?

I'm going to replace as i no longer have confidence in this unit but am concerned with the fact that if this was the higher level sensor that failed the tank would have overflowed.

Is there anything i can do to further test this faulty unit?

Is there a warning system such as a message that informs the user that a level sensor has gone off line?

Is there a way to avoid this happening again?

And seeing as this product is outside of the tank does the warranty period cover this type of fault for an extended period of time?

Thank you.

Hello,

please note that the contactless level sensor is not suited for the automatic water change,
    since the glass remains moist during the water change also above the water level, so the sensor would registrate a water level.
    This could be the reason for the behaviour of this sensor.

You can read more about this here:
    http://forum.aquariumcomputer.com/sh...-sensor-to-use

So you can do as follows:

-you can test the sensor again drying the glass over the water level
    -> here the sensor should react if you change between water / no water

-we recommend to use better our optical or mechanical level sensor for this purpose instead:
    https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/en-...p/probes/level
    No support or warranty issues over PM! Please send PMs to the moderators only if you have general problems with using the forum! Thanks for helping us to keep the support efficient.
    Kein Support oder Reklamationsabwicklung über PM! Bitte senden Sie an die Moderatoren nur PMs bei allgemeinen Problemen mit der Verwendung des Forums! Danke dass Sie uns dabei helfen, den Support effektiv zu gestalten.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolin View Post
    Hello,

please note that the contactless level sensor is not suited for the automatic water change,
    since the glass remains moist during the water change also above the water level, so the sensor would registrate a water level.
    This could be the reason for the behaviour of this sensor.

You can read more about this here:
    http://forum.aquariumcomputer.com/sh...-sensor-to-use

So you can do as follows:

-you can test the sensor again drying the glass over the water level
    -> here the sensor should react if you change between water / no water

-we recommend to use better our optical or mechanical level sensor for this purpose instead:
    https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/en-...p/probes/level
    Hi and thanks for the reply.

But the issue i'm facing is the exact opposite to why contactless sensors shouldn't be used for AWC. My sensor isn't reading water at all.

The red light does not illuminate.

Thanks.

If the sensor works before, there are only few reasons left if the control LED doesn't light up anymore at all:
    - level sensor isn't plugged in propperly
    - level sensor is plugged in the temp sensor input by accident
    - the level sensor cable or plug is broken
    - the level sensor itself is defective
    - the level port on the ProfiLux is defective
    No support or warranty issues over PM! Please send PMs to the moderators only if you have general problems with using the forum! Thanks for helping us to keep the support efficient.
    Kein Support oder Reklamationsabwicklung über PM! Bitte senden Sie an die Moderatoren nur PMs bei allgemeinen Problemen mit der Verwendung des Forums! Danke dass Sie uns dabei helfen, den Support effektiv zu gestalten.

I would additionally have a look into the sensor plug. Maybe one of the pins is bent.

Thanks for all the replies.
    Unfortunately I hadn't touched the Profilux unit or the sensor for months before this happened so I think the sensor is failing. Coupled with the red light now showing even after it had not been showing for days I think it's a fair assumption that the sensor needs to be replaced.
    The fault seems intermittent and I hope that it is the sensor and not the Profilux.

Thanks again.