PDA

View Full Version : Fire Detection

d2mini
12.01.2015, 22:34
Been working on a new "fish room" build where I have lots of lights and other high powered and hot equipment like I'm sure many of us do.
It just occurred to me that it would be beneficial to have some sort of fire protection.
For example, something like a smoke alarm that could sense smoke or excess heat and shut down equipment that could maybe prevent the start of an actual fire, or at least give you a precious few seconds or minutes head start on dealing with it.
Does anything like this exist?

Would be great under a stand too.
When i had a ReefKeeper controller, I had a heater stick on and melt the socket it was plugged into.
I woke up one morning, walked out of the bedroom and smelled burning plastic. Luckily i found it when i opened the stand and saw the smoke and was able to unplug it before a fire started.

http://bluelemonphoto.smugmug.com/photos/i-DQdSQBT/0/O/i-DQdSQBT.jpg

Gunther
13.01.2015, 08:12
There are tons of devices on the market for that, even such ones with WLAN and smart functions (NEST for example).
IMHO it makes no sense to have a smoke warner connectet to the Profilux if it (or the power supply) burns down - for me it should be independent.

Just my 2cent.

d2mini
13.01.2015, 17:22
There are tons of devices on the market for that, even such ones with WLAN and smart functions (NEST for example).
IMHO it makes no sense to have a smoke warner connectet to the Profilux if it (or the power supply) burns down - for me it should be independent.

Just my 2cent.

Nest doesn't work with my HVAC (honeywell). Can you point me to something else?
I don't see why it couldn't be connected to the profilux, unless the profilux itself caught on fire.
But let's say the wiring from a lamp started smoking or something. The profilux could alert you.

But anyway, I guess that answers my question. "Not available". From GHL anyway. :)

Gunther
13.01.2015, 17:39
But anyway, I guess that answers my question. "Not available". From GHL anyway.

Hmmmm .... there is nothing from GHL and I don´t think there is a change to get it in near future (there are too much other things to do)

However, this doesn´t mean that it´s impossible: Build in an ADIN card and install a smoke alarm with relay conact (GIRA has one as I know, also a lot of other suppliers have such devices for alarm message forwarding) and connect it to the PL. Now you have to set up the the alarm condition for mail, SMS or whatever and it will fulfill your request.

reef
13.01.2015, 19:25

Just my 2cent.
I think a smoke alarm is a great idea, with so much equipment there is always a chance something could got wrong and having a alarm is great piece of mind.