PDA

View Full Version : Low sump pump cutout??

H20ENG
20.10.2009, 08:09
I am trying to use prog logic to have the main circ pump shut down if either the tank level is high (water 1 set to leakage) or the sump gets too low (water 2). I have the logic down, but I cannot seem to get the level sensor program I need. It will time out, set the alarm, then restart the pump.

Ideally I could set water 2 to leakage- inverse to stop the pump and only restart with a manual reset. But, set to leakage, the invert does not work!

The sensor needs to be wet to signal a normal condition and when dry signal an alarm condition and stop the pump until manual reset.

Any suggestions? Any other ways to look at this end result?

Thanks!

H20ENG
21.10.2009, 00:57
It looks like there is NO provision for a "low sump condition" main pump cutout. If only I could invert the level sensor while set to leakage...

Has anyone been able to succeed with this application? I know of a few who tried, but found the same thing I have.

I guess I'll use the 3rd sensor for a skimmer cup alarm or something.

Matthias
21.10.2009, 08:05
Hi

what about the mode "return pump"? (new in firmware 4.08)
see more in the programming manual 4.08

H20ENG
22.10.2009, 05:18
Thanks Matthias. I love that you continually improve the system! Though I still wonder if I can perform this function in inverse.

From the 4.08 programming guide:
"Return pump
As soon as sensor 1 (resp. 2 or 3) registers a high level, the switchable socket with the function Water 1
(resp. Water 2 or Water 3) is switched on. When the level falls below, it is switched off again."

A low sump condition can burn out a pump. When I built my own controllers before, I used a 30 minute off timer on the low sump / high tank alarm. This prevents short cycling, which is also bad for the pump. The timer will start the pump every 30 minutes, rather than say 10-15 seconds, even if for a short time to hopefully keep things alive, but not burn up the pump.

The problem comes when the sump level gets low (or tank high), so the pump stops. Any water in the plumbing drains back to the sump, causing it to rise, again giving the sensor a "safe level" reading. It restarts the pump, again sees a low level, shuts the pump. water drains back, level sees OK, pump starts again, etc, etc.

I realize with the ATO you would get a timeout alarm, but I really want this control of the return pump. I will load the new firmware and see what I can do. I played with prog logic for hours and could not get this function.

I need that inverse leakage button! Hint, hint :)