PDA

View Full Version : Mitras display is dark

muz_zz
23.08.2014, 07:10
My both displays on the mitras are dark the display is working just dark

I have updated both to 1.117 and in the GCC software the brightness is set to 80% and dark to 10%
VON which I gather is on so darkness set to 10pm and bis which I gather is off is set to 7am

And I hit save updates but still dark

What am I doing wrong here?

muz_zz
23.08.2014, 08:30
Also the touch buttons dim and brighten just not the display?

GHL Support
25.08.2014, 11:43
Has this happened for both Mitras at the same time?
If yes, did you make any changes to your setup before that?

Did this come along with the Mitras update or did you do that afterwards?

Do both Mitras work properly, is it only the display of the lamps?

Could you post a picture of the dark displays?

muz_zz
25.08.2014, 11:55
Yes this has happened after update for both units

Both units seem to be working fine just the display is dark display is working fine as at night I can see all colours percentages and fan speed and temp

The funny thing is the buttons on the unit dim and brighten when changed in GCC just not the display

Also the units were running v1.114 before the update and displays were fine

GHL Support
26.08.2014, 08:58
Could you send us a screenshot of your display settings?

This is the one I have:

What happens if you change the percentages of the display, press save and then press the button Update view?

muz_zz
26.08.2014, 09:23
Carolin here is a screen shot of my display settings and also a shot of the display as you can see as mentioned before the control buttons on the unit brighten and dim correctly just not the LCD display

I also made a change and save changes and update view no difference still dark?

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u225/muz_z/bdf8cfaeb4bf10882afc277c053c369e_zps239cc118.jpg

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u225/muz_z/012626ef30b1369ca84029be74aad6a2_zps87b05c14.jpg

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u225/muz_z/920e1a3ae980f8b73202927e94efb4d0_zpsef886238.jpg

muz_zz
27.08.2014, 09:30
Any thoughts on a Soulition Carolin?

GHL Support
27.08.2014, 10:52
Hello,

thank you, everything seems to be correct in the settings.

You can still test two things:

-set your lamp back to factory settings (save your settings before)
-> do the displays work again?

-update (or rather downgrade) your Mitras with the firmware version you had before
-> do the displays work again?

muz_zz
27.08.2014, 12:51
So this is what i have done
Changed the firmware back to v1.14 no good
Reset the factory settings in v1.14 no good
Changed the firware back to v1.17 no good
Restet factory settings in v1.17 no good

Buttons still dim and brighten with changes to the settings just not the lcd

Every time i done one of the steps i changed the settings for the brightness and saved changes and updated view still no good

Has this happened to anyone else?
If so is there a cure? Or if not can the lcd panels be changed for new ones?

CaptCrash
27.08.2014, 16:18
I don't know if this is related, but in your screenshot you have "Disable Keypad" selected. In Carolin's example screen shot it is not selected.
Does this make any difference if you enable the keypad?

muz_zz
27.08.2014, 20:12
No

Matthias
28.08.2014, 09:36
this is a really strange case

there is absolutely no reasonable explanation for this, there is no connection between a firmware update and a non-working background-illumination of the LCD

we had this never at any Mitras we sold in the past 2 years, and this were a few thousand

the key-LEDs and the BG-LED are driven by the same circuit, so they just can't have a different brightness

by any chance - did you open the enclosure for performing the update and broke something doing this?

are we talking about a lack of brightness or is the contrast too low?

muz_zz
28.08.2014, 09:45
No never opened and yes lack of brightness they do brighten up slightly but not enough to read in daylight once the lights dim at night it is just barely readable

In saying that you have never seen this before there was a post of yours that i seen with another person where you offered to replace the lcd to keep him happy so i find your statement incorrect

Is the contrast something i should look at even though its never been touched?

Matthias
28.08.2014, 09:54
no, we had never a case were the background-LED was damaged through a firmware update

and having 2x the same problem at the same customer is also very extraordinary

are you sure it is the brightness and not the contrast? for the contrast an explanation would be possible, have to check this more in detail

you can check this when you watch the area around the active araea of the display, a small frame of about 2mm thickness - does this change the brightness when you alter the brightness settings?

muz_zz
28.08.2014, 10:12
I can see it brighten and dim yes but it is like it only goes to 10% maybe at 100%

But the buttons go very bright and very dim if I reduce the brightness to 10% it is hardly visible at night with no lights on at 100% it is readable at night with no lights on but the buttons are very bright once at 100%

Matthias
28.08.2014, 10:20
I have no explanation, I checked the schematics again, the LEDs of the keys and the display are even in parallel, so the must have the same brightness

totally confused

so I see only one option: return both lamps to the factory for further investigation

doing just a replacement of the display-board makes not much sense, because I can't say for sure what part is damaged

especially the fact that both displays got dark after an update makes this all very strange

please contact us directly for further details

muz_zz
28.08.2014, 10:31
I would live to return them just so you could see it and what is happening but what lights do I run over my tank in the mean time?
All my corals would not do to good with out lights and putting a different light up would do them no good either so I stuffed I guess

As you can see in the above pics I attached that the buttons are bright but the lcd is not did you see these Matthais?

Matthias
28.08.2014, 10:33
yes I am aware of this problem but how else can we handle a repair?

please contact us directly to discuss how to proceed

muz_zz
28.08.2014, 10:39
Thanks Matthias for your help I will send a email

I was hoping it was something else that was wrong and didn't need repair as that is not what I was after but thanks for offering

StarF
28.08.2014, 10:53
So this is what i have done
Changed the firmware back to v1.14 no good
Reset the factory settings in v1.14 no good
Changed the firware back to v1.17 no good
Restet factory settings in v1.17 no good

Buttons still dim and brighten with changes to the settings just not the lcd

Every time i done one of the steps i changed the settings for the brightness and saved changes and updated view still no good

Has this happened to anyone else?
If so is there a cure? Or if not can the lcd panels be changed for new ones?

This has happened to one of my mitras aswell, infact when sent mine in for a repair, and when i got it back it wasent fixed still, so i just left it like it was, as i couldent do with out my light any longer. If i could buy another lcd display i would just pay for that, rater than having my tank running with out light.

Matthias
28.08.2014, 15:31
I doubt that we got something for repair and that we ignored the damage and sent it back as it was

through whom was the repair managed? when?

I want to investigate what happened because this should not happen

StarF
28.08.2014, 16:20
I doubt that we got something for repair and that we ignored the damage and sent it back as it was

through whom was the repair managed? when?

I want to investigate what happened because this should not happen

The lamp was sent for repair around 18´th january and was shipped back to me around the 23´rd january. the error description i shipped contained 2 isues. the dark lcd screen and a cluster who wasent working as it should, along with the lamp getting a greath deal hotter than my other lamp.

the cluster was fixed, the heating issue was not fixed, as it were with in its limits.. (my other lamp gets 54 degrees hot the lamp i sent gets 64 with the same settings) and the lcd panel was just ignore or forgotten.

the lamp were sent directly to you, and i wrote a few mails with carolin where i requested the repair.

StarF
08.09.2014, 14:06
no updates on this?

gnisten
29.01.2017, 18:39
Hi.

I know this is an old thread, but i have to add, that this problem also affects tree of my 5 Mitras LX 6100hv. The display backlight are very dark, and theres a very small difference between hi and lo dim. They have had this problem for a long time, i cant remember when it started, I have just let them be as they are, its no big deal but a strange problem. It could very well had been started around the same time as described above...

GazzMan
30.01.2017, 12:53
And the same on one of mine, it was all three but Iv changed one display module and had the second lamp fixed, this leave one lamp with the display problem but the problem has occurred on all three lamps.

gnisten
30.01.2017, 20:24
Did you get the display module from GHL?

The mitras lamps are the best engeneering work i have ever layed my hands on when we talk about aquarium lamps, can say that of all GHL's products, but to be honest, im a bit dissapointed about this minor defect, that has been on my lamps for so long. Should not appear on tree out of 5 units of so high quality. I must admit, that i havent done any complains to GHL about it, as the lamps are running fine, and the defect was starting after warranty whent out.

Maybe i will ask GHL if i could buy some new display boards, so i can fix them. (I work with electronics myself)

GazzMan
31.01.2017, 15:41
Yes GHL supplied a new one.

monkeyboy
01.02.2017, 00:14
I have this problem on one of my lamps. Makes no difference if you alter settings on control panel, stays dim no matter what I try.

Mine is out of warranty but I don't really want to fork out 70 odd bucks on a replacement

Guess I will have to live with it but it bugs me when the other 2 work fine