PDA

View Full Version : Level sensor problems.

Dr.Yak
06.08.2014, 10:50
I am having a problem with the level sensor.

I want the level sensor to give me an alarm when the water level in my supply sump drops below a certain level. I have set the sensor to inverse so it will give me an alarm when the level drops. In the "up" state (i.e. sensor is below the water level so floater is in the up position) it gives a diagnostic on the profilux box display of "2" and no alarm, but in the "down" state (i.e. low water level so floater is above the water and the floater is touching the bottom) it gives a diagnostic of "12" but the alarm still does not go off. Alternatively when I reset the sensor i.e. turn it from inverse to normal and then back again it will give an alarm in the down state but the alarm will not turn off when the water level increases and moves the float into the "up" position - the diagnostic on the profilux still gives me a "12" state and in the control center software still shows the state as "alarm". So it is not shifting the state. Even if I manually reset the error it is still in the alarm state.

I have tried with two separate level sensors (floats), one just out of the box, attached to either the profilux main box or an expansion box and I am getting the same problem.

My questions are:
1. Why does the diagnostic read "2" for one state and "12" for the other. I would expect it to read either "1" or "2", not both - it is a binary switch.
2. Is there a defined state for the float sensor - i.e. "2" is "up" (when the floating part of the sensor it touching the upper part of the sensor nearest to the wire) or does that depend on the position of the float sensor when it is first plugged into the profilux?
3. What could be causing this behavior? Is this a firmware issue of the profilux? - I am using firmware version 6.05.

Thanks for your time.

Dr.Yak
07.08.2014, 14:30
I am having a problem with the level sensor.

I want the level sensor to give me an alarm when the water level in my supply sump drops below a certain level. I have set the sensor to inverse so it will give me an alarm when the level drops. In the "up" state (i.e. sensor is below the water level so floater is in the up position) it gives a diagnostic on the profilux box display of "2" and no alarm, but in the "down" state (i.e. low water level so floater is above the water and the floater is touching the bottom) it gives a diagnostic of "12" but the alarm still does not go off. Alternatively when I reset the sensor i.e. turn it from inverse to normal and then back again it will give an alarm in the down state but the alarm will not turn off when the water level increases and moves the float into the "up" position - the diagnostic on the profilux still gives me a "12" state and in the control center software still shows the state as "alarm". So it is not shifting the state. Even if I manually reset the error it is still in the alarm state.

I have tried with two separate level sensors (floats), one just out of the box, attached to either the profilux main box or an expansion box and I am getting the same problem.

My questions are:
1. Why does the diagnostic read "2" for one state and "12" for the other. I would expect it to read either "1" or "2", not both - it is a binary switch.
2. Is there a defined state for the float sensor - i.e. "2" is "up" (when the floating part of the sensor it touching the upper part of the sensor nearest to the wire) or does that depend on the position of the float sensor when it is first plugged into the profilux?
3. What could be causing this behavior? Is this a firmware issue of the profilux? - I am using firmware version 6.05.

Thanks for your time.

I believe I have found a reason for this problem but I still don't know how to fix the situation.

What appears to be happening is that the profilux believes that there are two level sensors attached to the level sensor socket even though I only have one attached and no splitter either. Why would this happen?

Why this should make a difference when the alarm is set to use only the sensor 1 reading I have no idea?

Gunther
07.08.2014, 15:12
What appears to be happening is that the profilux believes that there are two level sensors attached to the level sensor socket even though I only have one attached and no splitter either. Why would this happen?

Due it states not two level sensors but "There are two level sensors possible". A visible digit shows "Level sensor #x is closed or not present. This is done in this way due safety reasons.

You fix your problem you should check the following:

ensure you only have inverted sensor #1. If you iverted also #2, it will cause a permanent alarm.
ensure you not have set a long switch on delay for sensor #1. During delay the alarm will still persist.
ensure you have acrtivated automatic error reset (manual 3.1.3) otherwise the alarm will stay until you reset it manually.

Dr.Yak
08.08.2014, 08:34
Due it states not two level sensors but "There are two level sensors possible". A visible digit shows "Level sensor #x is closed or not present. This is done in this way due safety reasons.

You fix your problem you should check the following:

ensure you only have inverted sensor #1. If you iverted also #2, it will cause a permanent alarm.
ensure you not have set a long switch on delay for sensor #1. During delay the alarm will still persist.
ensure you have acrtivated automatic error reset (manual 3.1.3) otherwise the alarm will stay until you reset it manually.

Hi.

I am still having a problem. It now does not give me an alarm when the water level drops below the sensor - there is no change in state either on the profilux display or in GHL control. If I manually put it below the water level it still has no state change. This happens with two different level sensors - one new out the box.

So - if I set it to inverted when the water is above the sensor there is no alarm (as expected). But, when the water level drops below the sensor the alarm does not start (there is no state change registered in GHL control or the profilux display)
If I then set set it to non inverted while the water is below the sensor it gives an alarm and this alarm does not stop once the water level goes above the sensor (either manually or with the automatic reset set to 10 min).

My system is set up as follows (see screenshot):
1. A single sensor attached to the profilux expansion box level port. No splitter.
2. Leakage detection set with a 10s delay on sensor 1 and an auto reset of 10 min.
3. Sensor 1 set to inverted.

Gunther
08.08.2014, 09:12
As you can seen in pic #1 you have set level sensor #1 to leckage detection in first row.
In row #2 you have set the same level sensor #1 as not active
Set row #2 to level input 2 (or above) and it should work

Dr.Yak
08.08.2014, 10:14
As you can seen in pic #1 you have set level sensor #1 to leckage detection in first row.
In row #2 you have set the same level sensor #1 as not active
Set row #2 to level input 2 (or above) and it should work

Ok. I have tried that (I only changed that row #2 recently, after these issues started) and it still has the same problem with both the old and the new level sensors.

reef
09.08.2014, 08:10
it says max on time 10min, change to 10s

Dr.Yak
09.08.2014, 10:02
it says max on time 10min, change to 10s

Ok... How will that help it actually recognise that the sensor has changed state? The problem is not at root that the alarm stays on for 10 min but that it doesn't flip from the sensor down to sensor up state. I can't even reset the "error" i.e. alarm state manually because the sensor is not being recognised as changing.

I am now reasonably sure that it is an error in the unit itself - although it is strange that both the profilux and the expansion box have the same issue.