PDA

View Full Version : Contactless Level Sensor

schalk
20.09.2009, 19:00
I exchanged my optical sensor for the contactless level sensor and I have been testing it for about a week now before I trust it with for ATO purposes. I setup the censor and adjusted the potentiometer until it worked as expected. (I attached it to the glass with two thin strips of double sided tape at the top and bottom of the sensor.) When the water starts to drop I notice the light switching on and off with regular intervals. This is how I expect the sensor to work, if the light stays off for 5 seconds the configured socket on the plug-bar is activated.

However, after a couple of hours I notice that the water level dropped significantly but the light on the sensor is still on. (This glass is as clean as can be.) I now have to adjust the potentiometer again to get it “just right”, it then appears to work again but soon it just becomes stuck again.
I spent to whole day trying to get the sensor to work consistently but I just cannot get it right, any advice would be appreciated.

Kind Regards,
S

schalk
21.09.2009, 11:21
Last night the sensor light was on and the water level was slightly above the sensor, this morning the water level has dropped considerably and the light is still on. :( If I wipe the little bit of residue left on the glass by the evaporated water the sensor light goes off. If I adjust the potentiometer to compensate for this the light will always be off.

aqua_digital
21.09.2009, 16:04
what is the glass thickness?

What type of glass? star fire or iron composit?

Iron glass looks green at the cut ends.

schalk
22.09.2009, 15:45
It's the normal iron composit stuff, I think it's 6mm.

aqua_digital
22.09.2009, 20:48
The iron is blocking/reflecting the signal, we have seen some very small handful of cases of this.

The best solution is to try different areas of the tank, not all have the same compound.

legaultrm
27.12.2009, 21:40
Are there any other tips to get these working. I have 12mm glass with iron in it, and I can not get it to work at all.

Matthias
28.12.2009, 08:05
Are there any other tips to get these working. I have 12mm glass with iron in it, and I can not get it to work at all.

it seems the sensor can't detect the level through your glass -> no other choice than using another sensor type