PDA

View Full Version : Problem with a brand new PH Electrode by GHL - Completely Dry

Velaskes
27.12.2013, 18:00
Hello,

I just received a brand new PH electrode that I purchased from one of the biggest GHL dealers in Germany. When I opened the box though I saw that the PH probe storage container was only half full with storage solution and the Electrode glass is NOT in the solution. When I removed the storage container I saw that the PH Electrode was completely dry, there was no fluid in the electrode glass tube. I emailed the GHL dealer right away explaining my case and that is the response I got from them:

"Hello,

we have only new elektrodes and all are looking like this.
The sense of the cap is too keep the moisture, but the sense of the construction is not to keep it wet all the time.
The white powder is dried NaCl.
So with this electrode is everything ok.

You can also write an email to GHL if you want."

So is that true? Are all new GHL PH Electrodes dried out inside and that be ok? I had the chance of purchasing PH electrodes from other (USA) brands that were half the price of GHL's electrodes but as always I decided to trust GHL and buy your product. What should I do now, as your dealer is claiming that a dry PH electrode is how it is supposed to be. I read in different places, even on this forum, that when a PH electrode is dry inside the glass tube it can malfunction and even if it works again its life span is reduced drastically and it may fail within a few months even. I have waited 2 weeks for shipment on this electrode to get my calcium reactor running and now I cannot even use it as I am not sure if the electrode is working or not and if it should be returned to seller or not. Please advice. I will attach pictures of how the probe is out of the fluid - it seems that the fluid spilled out and now there is NO fluid in the electrode glass tube - it is completely dry.

mdanielse
27.12.2013, 21:44
No problem, my last GHL pH-electrode was shipped the same way, the container on the tip was half full... it lasted me 2.5 years before it broke down.
I now just bought a new refillable glass pH-electrode from AquaMedic and this was delivered the same way, if you put him horizontally the glass tip runs almost dry.

But there always should be some fluid in the container, when you receive the electrode completely dry, you should return it.

Otherwise just put it a day in tap water, install it, calibrate it, let it run a day, than calibrate it again and you are in business........

Velaskes
27.12.2013, 23:04
No problem, my last GHL pH-electrode was shipped the same way, the container on the tip was half full... it lasted me 2.5 years before it broke down.
I now just bought a new refillable glass pH-electrode from AquaMedic and this was delivered the same way, if you put him horizontally the glass tip runs almost dry.

But there always should be some fluid in the container, when you receive the electrode completely dry, you should return it.
Otherwise just put it a day in tap water, install it, calibrate it, let it run a day, than calibrate it again and you are in business........

So having zero fluid in the glass tip of the electrode (not in the container) is not a problem? I've read everywhere that if the glass tip runs dry and there is no more liquid gel in it, the electrode goes bad. Even in the electrode manual that came in the package shows a picture where the glass tip should always be dipped in the container liquid during storage so it does not dries out. I would like some comment from the GHL team on that matter as the electrode costs quite the buck and is brand new, I really do not want to be wasted money.
Also I've noticed that this PH electrode is a bit different from my old one (from an year ago). The new one has a bit different shape of the glass tip and has a bit blue tint color, not sure if that is normal too.

mdanielse
28.12.2013, 00:37
Perhaps I misunderstood you..............:o

When you put the pH-electrode in vertical position and there is no fluid visible in the glass tip itself, it can not function, it is defected.
The GHL pH-elektrodes are not refillable, so it is than history for that particular pH-electrode.

Are you sure there is no fluid in the tip?, sometime it is hard to see and you first have to soak it in water for a while so the glass tip of the electrode is clear and you can see through it.

The glass tip should not always be dipped in the container liquid during storage, the way it looks on your photo's is how all my 3 electrodes have been received by me. One (the GHL) lasted 2.5 years, the other one(AquaMedic) is now running more than 2.5 year and is still fine, and the last one I bought recently, a glass refillable AquaMedic is now running for a few month now. So the half filled storage container was/is not a problem for my probes.

So having zero fluid in the glass tip of the electrode (not in the container) is not a problem? I've read everywhere that if the glass tip runs dry and there is no more liquid gel in it, the electrode goes bad. Even in the electrode manual that came in the package shows a picture where the glass tip should always be dipped in the container liquid during storage so it does not dries out. I would like some comment from the GHL team on that matter as the electrode costs quite the buck and is brand new, I really do not want to be wasted money.
Also I've noticed that this PH electrode is a bit different from my old one (from an year ago). The new one has a bit different shape of the glass tip and has a bit blue tint color, not sure if that is normal too.

PIWAWT
28.12.2013, 08:47
puts the electrode for 12 hours in tapwater, no distilled water, or in HCL solution. and calibrates her.
Everything is ok worked if she.
It is the difference between dry and wetly storage that the electrode stored wetly is immediately usable. The dry electrode must be watered.

this is a translation from a laboratory manual

Velaskes
30.12.2013, 14:39
Thanks, PIWAWT, but may I ask - what is the source for that information? I read all kind of stuff to do with dry probes - put them in PH4 solution, tap water or distilled water even. For the last 24 hours I tried to put the probe "deeper" in the storage container it came with so that the storage fluid (KCL I assume?) covers the glass tube(or bulb where the metal electrode is) of the probe with the hope it will replenish. However 24 hours later the glass tube is still COMPLETELY empty/dry - there is no fluid, no gel, nothing in it, just the metal wire. Now I put it in a 4PH solution for a few hours and see how it goes. I owned 2 GHL PH probes so far and I am quite sure that THEY MUST HAVE fluid/gel in the glass tube, this one doesn't though.
Also I noticed that this PH Probe is different from my older GHL probes. First of all my old probes came in a little Styrofoam box with Quality Certificate where it shows the manufacturer number, date of delivery. etc. The new probe that I have problems with came with a new package - only a plastic box and only with a manual in it, no certificate, nothing.
Also my old probes have different glass chamber/tubes - clear glass and a bit longer and you can clearly see the electrode gel when you shake the probe. The new probe however has a shorter glass chamber/tube which is not clear glass but blue glass and in my case dried out - no fluid/gel in it.
I do not know. When I am paying 65 EUR for a PH Probe, which is almost double the price compared to other reputable brands, I kind of expect better quality that I had with my older versions GHL PH Probes. Then my probe comes with dry glass chamber which I know it is not right as ALL PH probes must have gel/fluid in the metal wire chamber. Then GHL supplier tells me that is how all GHL probes are in there store and that I should contact GHL directly. Now I myself have to find out how to solve the problem and how to replenish a BRAND NEW PH Probe that I cannot currently use. That is just not right. I would really like a response from a GHL staff member.

mdanielse
30.12.2013, 15:10
The GHL probe will not refill itself by putting it in the storage solution. If there is no fluid in the tip it won't function.
I don't see the problem, just try the probe if it does not work you have warranty and will get a new one. You have already mentioned it here on the forum and with your local suppler. And I can tell you from experience that GHL is very fair with there warranty, at least here in Europe.

I would just try the electrode..... then you know fore sure..................

Matthias
30.12.2013, 15:30
it doesn't matter - please just use the probe and if there occur unexpected problems then contact your retailer

PIWAWT
31.12.2013, 09:03
The GHL probe is a gel probe, this need not be filled or refilled. The probe is designed for continuous operation. Some fillable probes are not suitable for continuous measurements, in particular under seawater conditions. Distilled water goes through the membrane, thereby changing the KCl concentration in the probe (osmosis / diffusion)
My girlfriend works in a large pharmaceutical laboratory. There are all reserve probes which can be stored for more than 6 months stored dry. (Laboratory Manual). There are various identifying new opportunities to regenerate the probe.
KCL, calibration solution, tap water, or simply into the aquarium. After 2 days, possibly recalibrate the probe.

aqua_digital
02.01.2014, 14:28
Probes are shipped in crystallized solution if this leaks out the crystals within the membrane that have been soaked up will protect the probe.

Unless the probe does not calibrate on arrival there is nothing wrong with the probe whether there is fluid present or not. Probes can be dry for long periods and still work full life, if left for more than a few days dry to the open air then soak in tap water, not distilled. Or pH4 solution.

None of the above mentioned concerns would be a warrant able issue for the probes, they are fine.

If the probe does not read once calibrated in pH 7 solution accurately after 5 minutes then there is an issue of course.