PDA

View Full Version : Thunderstorm on AI LED modules

xenon
03.03.2009, 07:33
I am wondering if we could get more of a "strobe light" effect when lighting is produced from the white led's on the AI modules. They are too slow for it to look right so I don't even bother activating the feature. :rolleyes:

They should be able to handle a faster on/off sequence just like the GHL LED sticks.

Matthias
03.03.2009, 09:06
you should ask Chris from AI this question, we can`t answer this
-> please keep us informed

xenon
03.03.2009, 18:48
Here is his reply.

Hi Dan,

The intensity can be increased, and the number of times can be increased, but it's speed is somewhat limited.

Using sfX where X is a value between 0 and 9 will change the intensity, and fl3X where X is between 0 and 9 and is the number of times it happens.

-Chris

Then I asked: "Can you explain why the LED's in the AI modules are limited when compared to the LED lights in the GHL flash stick?"

This was his reply:

Dan,

When Matthias and I originally discussed adding this feature, we determined that it should be done as quick as possible; < 1 sec.

The actual routine to flash is very simple, and from what we've seen (especially at 10 counts) very quick.

There has to be a delay for a few reasons; on being the amount of transient power consumed by the arrays and the burden on the power supply. It is possible that if it's too fast it will cause the power supply to turn off as a protection mechanism (not by our design, but the manufacturer of the supply)

Because of the shear intensity, it can also be seen as just slight dimming. To visually see a complete on and off, this speed was necessary.

BR,
-Chris

Matthias
03.03.2009, 21:03
yes, you can't compare the lights because they have a complete different technology.

The AI lamps first purpose is to get as many light as possible, our lamp is for effects only.

I can`t comment his statement since I am not the developer of the AI lamps but it sounds reasonable.

We can`t do anything on our side to change the behaviour.

wesheltonj
03.03.2009, 21:10
Interesting, but I cannot get the intensity off of the 5 level on the GHL software.

Matthias
03.03.2009, 21:18
The intensity in the AI section does not determine how dark the lights become during a thunderstorm. This can be set under the cloud settings (max. darkening).
Test it with 100%

Aufgedyng
15.07.2011, 21:47
Hi, I have tested thunderstorm feature on my AI modules and I can't get it right. Is it even possible?

The first problem is the flashes that hardly look like a flash, the light just light up at 100% for about a sec. Is it possible to set the maximum level of a flash?

The intensity setting is the next problem, it always say 5 even if i set another value, maybe i'm doing something wrong.

Any help appreciated.

--Mats

Matthias
16.07.2011, 08:59
the communication to AI goes only one way: ProfiLux -> AI

so it is not possible to read out the current flash level, when you adjust it you will always see the default (5) even when the stored value in the AI lamp differs

the flash should not activate the lamps for 1s, this should be a few miliseconds

with the AI lamps I had here for testing it worked pretty well, but I don't know if they changed their firmware in regards to flashing - maybe you contact AI directly if you think there are issues with the flashes

ProfiLux just sends a command like "flash now" - it is the job of the AI lamp to "produce" a flash then

Aufgedyng
17.07.2011, 22:01
thanks, I'll ask them.

--Mats

Aufgedyng
17.08.2011, 07:45
Hi,

This is the response I've got from AI regarding the problem I have with flashes during a thunderstorm. Is there anyway I can connect the Profilux to a terminal to debug what command it sends?

Justin Walsh, Aug-16 15:37 (CDT):
Hello Mats,

Yes I did and I apologize about not getting back to you earlier. Unfortunately I believe that they may have a command in the controller that wont accept properly, therefore receiving erratic thunderstorm behavior. The only I reason I say this is because if you were to input our controller into your system this would not happen. You may need to contact them and see if they can give you an answer as to why it is not working properly.

Best of luck and keep me posted...

Kindest Regards,

Justin
AI

Matthias
17.08.2011, 08:32
We send exactly the commands according to the techincal docs we have from Aqua Illumination.

When they meanwhile changed their protocol without notifying us I would be irritated a little bit, but I can`t imagine this, they know that we spent a lot of time in programming the AI-interface for the ProfiLux.

Of course you can connect a PC RS232 interface in parallel to check what happens during communication, you will see the sent commands for example with a terminal program.
But I doubt that this will help us to find the source of the problem.

Aufgedyng
17.08.2011, 11:30
Ok, do you have any suggestion on how we proceed. Could you give me the spec. of the RS232 command that you send so I can try if my units flash from a terminal program?

I'll be happy to help you and AI to solve this. Do you want me to post a video of the problem?

--Mats

Matthias
18.08.2011, 09:39
I have been in direct touch with AI, it seems that some lamp types need additional commands to operate correctly during flashes.
As soon as I got all needed information from AI I will try to change the communication.

Since we have a NDA I am not allowed to give you details regarding the protocol, the only one who could give you more technical details is AI.

Aufgedyng
18.08.2011, 09:56
Thank you very much for your help!

Another thunderstorm related question....Do I need to restart the Profilux when I have unchecked the thunderstorm box? I still get flashes when unchecked.

--Mats

Matthias
19.08.2011, 11:23
Settings are active as soon as you save them, no need for restart (exception: LAN settings)
What thunderstorm box do you mean - in the illumination settings?
This has no effect for AI lamps.

to the flash issue:
I discussed what to do with the engineer of AI and it seems we already have a correct protocol, so I need some more information from you:
- exact lamp type
- settings in the ProfiLuxControl AI section (screenshot)
- exact description of your problem (flash too long?) - details?

Aufgedyng
19.08.2011, 12:17
Ok, its the setting in the Illumination 1,2,3 etc.

Ok, the SOL units are just a few month old, do you need a serial number or firmware version? I was not aware that there was different models of AI SOL, it's a 3 channel lamp. I'll post all other info as soon as possible.

Thanks!

lalasfish
21.08.2011, 09:50
OK Here is some more info

i also have the same problem with thunderstorms....

Before i had the sol WHITE units which worked perfectly....

then i upgraded to sol BLUE.... meaning i changed the driver board and the pucks..... it seems that the sol BLUE use 3 channels to control white blue and royal blue.... BUT thunderstorm is another issue

controlling light intensity with the profilux is working ok

If you start a thunderstorm though here is what happens....

flashes start ok .... at around 2 minutes when lights start to dimm then thunderstorm looks more like a cabaret show :)
different units light up at 100&% in all channels for a second then dimm down then proceed with thunder.....

Here is the weirdest part.....

if you have your lights at 0% total darkness. and start a thunderstorm then everything is working PERFECT!! this i discovered by accident since i had a setting for random thunderstorms and one night i got a perfect one at 01:00 in the morning.... it was the best show ever :) :)

Hope this helps

Christos

Aufgedyng
23.08.2011, 21:31
Thanks for the input Christos!

Matthias, I have posted all the settings. I also have a .mov file that shows the problem but it's 80Mb, can I upload it to you in some way?

I have posted settings for all my Illumination channels, Thunderstorm page (I've only used "Start manual thunderstorm" when I tested) and the AI settings.
The problem I have is that the flash is way too long, If I can send you the movie you'll see.
Let me know if you need anything else.

Regards,

Mats

lalasfish
24.08.2011, 07:33
upload it on youtube and make a link :rolleyes:

Baumbart
25.08.2011, 22:21
Hi

First.... sorry for my bad english!

I have testing the Problem with Thunderstorm, follow selection i have a good thunder action!

LED-Grup 1, are Canel 2 (AI blue)
LED-Grup 2, are Canel 3 (AI royal blue)
LED-Grup 3, are Canel 1 (AI white)

Flash intensy... i have maximum setting 9!

Illumination 1

I have selection only the Thunderstorm, not clouds
This are the white AI LED!

Illumination 2

I have no choice in the simulation
This are the blue AI LED!

Illumination 3

Selection only the Moonphase
This are the royale blue AI LED!

Thunderstorm

Intensity selection 20%

Darkening selection 100%
Of course they can choose more or less Darkening

In the case of the AI controller during a thunderstorm, only the white LED in operation!

Aufgedyng
04.10.2011, 22:38
Thanks for all the input, sorry for not responding until now. I have not had the time to test your suggestions yet. I have also ordered the controller from AI to test with for reference.

--Mats