PDA

View Full Version : problem with Mitras not producing identical spectrum at different time of the day

dattong
30.07.2013, 07:18
Hi, I just got two Mitras last Friday from Fedex, came home to find out one of them has broken plastic screen. I was told by Michael (AQD_ottawa or aqua_digital) that it would work just fine. He will send me a new plastic screen to replace, and it's ok for me to use it if I tape the broken part of the screen so water won't get in. Here's the issue I found today with this broken unit. Please tell me what you think is wrong with it.

My light schedule for the first half and the second half of the day is composed with symmetrical spectrum and intensity. If I set this broken unit as Master and the other as Slave then the second half light schedule's spectrum won't match with the first.
ex: (same spectrum is set with the same intensity)
10am to 11am - 12640
12pm - 12000
4pm - 12000
5pm to 6pm - 12640

So at 10 to 11am and 5 to 6 pm both have the same spectrum so I expect to get the same color, but I don't get the same color at 5 to 6pm. It gives me a totally different color temp at 5 to 6pm. However, if I switch this broken unit to Slave and the other to Master then they work just fine. I spent four hrs playing with different color temps to confirm that this broken unit fails to produce identical color temps at different time.
As long as I use it as a slave unit everything works perfectly.
So please tell me what you think is wrong with it? or anything I should know about? Thanks

Matthias
30.07.2013, 10:14
since there is one master/slave configuration in which both lamps work synchronously I doubt that there is a hardware problem

can you try this:

go to the light composer section of GHL Control Center and enable "Test illumination run"
then move th slider to vary the time

please observe now what the lamps are doing - can you find out what LED channels are not running in parallel in both lamps?

dattong
30.07.2013, 13:52
Yes, I also did the test. It did not replicate the same spectrum for the second half. I did this so many times and also turned off/on to reset it but still having this problem.

dattong
31.07.2013, 05:11
I just updated firmware 1.14 on both units, and now it doesn't matter which one I set as Master I still have the same issue with not producing same spectrum in the second half. I will upload a video clip later.

dattong
31.07.2013, 06:23
Both units now have the same problem after upgrading the firmware to 1.14. It seems like the second half won't change its color temp to whatever spectrum I set. It just stays around 10K with a hint of purple. It will change after the steep slope on the graph though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR-v4Gi7FdE

Matthias
31.07.2013, 06:32
Hi

you didn't answer my question.

I asked you what LED channels are not running synchronously. When you move the time-slider some LED-channels must have different brightness (otherwise the output light would be the same)

and I can't see anything in the movie which helps me to give you a reasonable answer.

dattong
31.07.2013, 06:58
Please look at 0.52 and .56 in the video. At those two time frames spectrum and intensity settings are identical but they produce different color temp. To answer your question, at the 0.56 in the video all leds turn on (I did not set them to work this way) and stay with the same spectrum. I even modified the color temp, ran "transmit Illumination run...: saved to the lamp then try the test again, the spectrum will not change, it stays the same . I do know that LEDs will change their brightness based on my setting as I move the time-slider. That's why I expect the same color temp for identical settings.

Matthias
31.07.2013, 11:32
can't you answer me what LED-channels have different brightnesses when you compare both lamps and when?

aqua_digital
31.07.2013, 11:57
We have ascertained that this is not a software issue or a hardware issue as you would not suddenly see the same fault on both lamps and also everyone would have the exact same issue if it was a firmware bug, so we have to look at your template.

My suggestion would be to load the GHL default template, make sure your clock is set correctly (pc time) and then modify that template under light composer as per my tutorial video. I would also switch off any simulation that maybe loaded with the default program.

dattong
03.08.2013, 17:35
I found the cause, and I can't believe that the support team is not aware of this (it's a newbie setting error). It's my moon cycle setting time interferes with my lighting schedule, and it changes the spectrum during the time it's set. My light schedule is set running from 10am to 10pm (so my noon time is at 4pm). If I have moon setting time out of this range, color spectrum will be identical symmetrically from "noon" (whatever time you set as noon) provided that you have spectrum and intensities set correspondingly on both halves from noon.

@aqua_digital: Yes I started from the default template and then changed the time line to fit my work schedule and the spectrum that I like so I can enjoy my tank when I get home, and that's the reason I had the issue. (I didn't change the moon time when I'm supposed to). Anyway, everything works great now. I was so ********** to a point I wanted to returned them, but then I decided to play around with the setting again this morning and I've figured it out. By the way, the manual instruction is pretty straight forward, I didn't even have to watch your video, but yeah it's helpful for those who don't want to read. I suggest GHL include some more details about setting moon time that would cause the issue I had so new customers like me don't have to deal with frustration of setting it up. Thanks for your help.

gnisten
12.08.2013, 10:27
Yea yea... hell i was experienced the same thing, when upgraded with one unit more, and at the same time changed the master/slave setup, so tha the new unit was master. I loaded my project, and forgot all about the moon cycle, which was set to default from 18.00. I was getting pretty irritated, to see the Royal Blue dim out every day at 18.00, and tried everything, new project, Firmware upgrade and so on, until.... the moon fase.... Stupid i didn't think of that..... But we learn every day...