PDA

View Full Version : WLAN security settings won't work - and firmware upgrades have caused new problems

boccanegra
19.06.2013, 14:12
HI,

I hope someone can help - I've been up until 1am the last two nights trying to get my Profilux II (4 yrs old, has been working with no problems for ages) to work with my router under secure settings.

First thing to say is that I have done all the obvious things (I'll go into detail) and followed all the step-by-step instructions in the GHL WLAN set-up guide and on the web. Also, on the off-chance that my firmware was the issue I upgraded that and the associated PF Control software and that hasn't worked, though I now have new problems. I'll include the latter here in case they are symptoms of my broader issue but can address them in separate threads if helpful.

So here goes:

I have had my PFII connected for years on an old PC (running XP, with an early version of Profilux control) and with the 2008 firmware, on an old netgear router (DG834). The connection was erratic and I'm not sure whether it died before or after I changed router but I now have an Asus RT-AC66u router (runs b,g,n,ac wireless on 2.4 and 5GHz, though I'm only using 2.4 at the moment). Either way, the Profilux control wouldn't see my PF unit through the WLAN after I changed router - though that wasn't surprising as the Netgear router address was 192.168.0.1 and the Asus is 192.168.1.1., so I knew I'd have to reconfigure anyway.

Although it took some time, with all network security off and having reset WLAN settings though the front of the unit, I was then able to configure the WLAN through the front panel such that my PC could find it (SSID as per my network SSID, server 'off', fixed IP address of 192.168.1.10 - which isn't used elsewhere on my network and which I've set on my Asus as dedicated for the unit through its MAC address - ad hoc off, baud rate of 9600 etc). This took me through to the Lantronix screen successfully.

So far so good. However, when I put the security settings on the PF and then on the router, the router then won't find the PF. I have tried almost everything, including:
1) Leaving all the settings on Lantronix completely as is (with, in the network page, subnet mask set as 0.0.0.0 and default gateway also as 0.0.0.0.) and also trying it with the settings appropriate to my router (255.255.255.0 and 192.168.1.1. respectively); 2) using my preferred security (WPA2 personal with AES encryption as per the router description and WPA2/802.11i with CCMP as per the Lantronix's description - but also with standard WPA in case it was the security protocol that was the problem; 3) doing everything in every order that I can think of.

Nothing has worked. The router loses the WLAN on its client list and I can't configure it through PF Control.

When I "apply updates" to my adjustments in the Lantronix I can still see the PF whether or not I update the subnet mask/default gateway on the server tab, so that doesn't seem to be the issue. But as soon as I apply the updates to the WLAN security settings, the Lantronix screen tells me to point my browser at the new address, which hasn't changed (i.e. still 192.168.1.10). And when I type that address in my browser, with or without the security settings of my router reinstalled, it doesn't work.

I read online that the upgraded firmware made connection better so I did this (to 5.14). I actually did it over the WLAN (non-secure) as I don't have the RS232 lead and that worked, though I wasn't able to export my settings (file wouldn't open/error message) and when I tried to reload the sensor data (which I could export) the file then corrupted and wouldn't load....

Anyway, I upgraded the Profilux control system as well to 5.1.5.1 (so I'm on 5.1.5.1 control and 5.14 PF), and refound my WLAN card, again set to 192.168.1.10. I went through and added all my setting manually (that was fun). To bullet-proof things, I also put the whole things on a Windows 8 PC, just in case that was an issue, so everything is bang up to date. Finally, I tried the same step of installing the security system.

Again, the configuration tool on PF Control could not find the WLAN any more and the router screen confirms that the WLAN card is no longer a network client.

I now have four problems, three of which I didn't have before, and I'd be grateful if anyone could make suggestions:
1) I still can't connect through a secure network... On top of which
2) The firmware update has killed my ability to use my Profilux Simu Lighting (I have the red/blue/white all weather model). I have set the illumination channels on Illumination 1 and 2, set up the PF simu through the LV1-10 menu (while disconnecting everything else from the L1-4 sockets) and set everything to 100% but no light comes out (immediately before the firmware upgrade this was working fine)
3) My temperature probe has gone mental. It was calibrated to ADC1=749@20C, ADC2=378@30C and was reading 25.4C immediately before the firmware update and then the temperatures in the calibration zone have moved to 0.1C (with ADC1 of 40) and 25C (with ADC2 of 20) - and the temperatures can't be changed) The probe now thinks it's 0C, which is unhelpful.

As an aside, the new firmware doesn't allow you to set the IP address of the WLAN card through the unit or reset it, so I am completely locked out of the unit until I get an RS232-to-USB. I have managed to get one of these this morning so that won't be an issue long-term, though I'd be interested as to why you'd change firmware to prevent access to a network...

Any ideas from anyone, whether on security or the temperature probe/Simu problems?

Thanks a lot,

simon

GHL Support
19.06.2013, 14:26
2) The firmware update has killed my ability to use my Profilux Simu Lighting (I have the red/blue/white all weather model). I have set the illumination channels on Illumination 1 and 2, set up the PF simu through the LV1-10 menu (while disconnecting everything else from the L1-4 sockets) and set everything to 100% but no light comes out (immediately before the firmware upgrade this was working fine)

Have you already checked the Simu with "manual illumination"?
You could also post some screenshots of the relevant settings (1-10V-interfaces).

3) My temperature probe has gone mental. It was calibrated to ADC1=749@20C, ADC2=378@30C and was reading 25.4C immediately before the firmware update and then the temperatures in the calibration zone have moved to 0.1C (with ADC1 of 40) and 25C (with ADC2 of 20) - and the temperatures can't be changed) The probe now thinks it's 0C, which is unhelpful.

Have you already tried to calibrate the temperature (only possible at the ProfiLux computer itself)?
Here you could also post the settings of the probe as a screenshot.

boccanegra
19.06.2013, 14:44
Thanks, Caroline - I'll try both of those. Any thoughts on the security issue?

Best regards,

Simon

DennisO
20.06.2013, 15:11
Please try different security standard (WEP, WPA) and check if 802.11b and 802.11g are enabled.

WiFi-Tutorial (http://forum.aquariumcomputer.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=93&act=down&actionhash=1371737220-4bc11359471b6a34d63cd6100c2a64e76f811241)
PLM-WLAN and Router (http://forum.aquariumcomputer.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=95&act=down&actionhash=1371737454-5489c650da5d576a1d8a6d5d0494cc62a03ad65a)

boccanegra
24.06.2013, 10:15
Thanks for the help. I've now resolved the problems. In case it's of interest to others with similar issues:
1) The security settings just decided to resolve themselves. Nothing following all the changes so I left it in disgust for a couple of days and then, bizarrely, the box found the network. I don't know whether it just takes a few hours for everything to settle down but it's now running fine
2) the heater problem was that during the firmware upgrade the Profilux had convinced itself that it was running a pond system! There's nothing in the Profilux control to show this but one of the settings on the box itself under temperature is "pond" or "aquarium". Switching to the latter reset the calibration points to 20C and 30C as before, and inputting the original ADC settings sorted things
3) The full weather simulation thing seemed to be a mechanical issue - apologies for that. Taking all the cables out, one of the plugs on the cable had rusted and must have come loose while I was moving the Profilux around. Replacing the cable has sorted it.

Thanks,

Simon