PDA

View Full Version : PowerBar does not react to manual control or allow configuration

CaptCrash
11.06.2013, 15:18
I have an issue with one of my two Digital Powerbar6D's (NON PAB).

The unit has been turned off for about 6 months and was working fine before it was turned off, the second unit is working fine.

If I connect the working unit (Powerbar A) to the PIII Ex with FW 5.16 5/06/2013 with PLC 5.1.6.2 the following steps allow me to manually turn on/off sockets 1 to 6.

1. In system, socket functions tick "Digital powerbar connected to S1-S4" then click save
2. with nothing else connected to the system the power light flashes slowly
3. other than the laptop via serial I connect the cable to the powerbar to S1-S4
4. wait for the Com light to come on (orange) and the pwr light to stop flashing
5. in PLC set sockets 1 and 6 to be always on, click save
6. within PLC click on "Program digital powerbar or dosing pump unit..."
7. Select the default choice for numbering
8. Accept the default numbering of 1
9. Click program then ready

For Powerbar A, this all works as expected, sockets S1 and S6 turn on and I can manually control the sockets from plc.

I then disconnect the working powerbar from the cable to the PIII Ex and repete the steps above with powerbar B.
This powerbar does not turn on sockets S1 and S6 and I cannot manually control the sockets from plc
The only change is the powerbar, everything else is exactly the same.
When connected to the PIII Ex the power light on the powerbar stops flashing and the com light stays on orange.

I have tried swapping cables with the same result (Powerbar A works with both cables, Powerbar B does not with either cables).
I have tried swapping ports on Powerbar B
I have tried substituting S5-S8 and using sockets 25 and 30 with the same result

is there anything else that can be done to "reset" the powerbar and make it work, or is this likely to be a failure of the unit?

CaptCrash
11.06.2013, 15:42
It has just got even wierder. I connected back the working powerbar A and went through the configuration listed above again.

When it turned on S1, S5 and S6 were powered on. This was odd as only S1 and S6 should be according to PLC.
I then went into manual control to try turning on S5 in PLC (it was showing as off), when I did socket 4 turned on.
I then turned off S5 in PCL and socket 4 turned off on the powerbar.
I then turned off S6 in PCL and both socket 5 and 6 turned off on the powerbar.
I turned S6 on again in PCL and both socket 5 and 6 turned on, on the powerbar.

I then turned all sockets off in PCL. All sockets turned off on the powerbar.
I then turned on sockets in PCL one at a time,
for each of S2-S6, when I turn them on, the socket in PCL powers up that socket number and the one immediatly lower than it.
eg. S3 powers up sockets 2 and 3, S5 powers up sockets 4 and 5

At this point I turned everything off, left it for a couple of minutes and then turned it back on, It still did the same thing.
I then did a reload of the firmware on the unit (same version of firmware).
The same S1, S5 and S6 turned on, on the powerbar

I then tried moving the cable on the powerbar from the inside socket (closest to the LED's) to the outside socket. On connecting the cable the S5 port turned off.
With the cable connect to the outsideport, the sockets turn on and off normally.
The same behaviour happens with both cables.

Is it likely that both two powerbars have failed in different and odd ways whilst being not used for about 6 months?

CaptCrash
11.06.2013, 16:07
So in summary, my questions are

1. With Powerbar A, what could be causing the turn on of two sockets when the inside port is used to connect to the PIII Ex?
2. With Powerbar B, is the unit terminal? It shows communications but does not operate.

Sorry that this was so long, but its really odd.

CaptCrash
13.06.2013, 16:10
Can anyone from GHL provide any ideas or suggestions with the above problem?

CaptCrash
18.06.2013, 11:46
Bumping this thread to see if anyone can provide a suggestion other than throwing away two power bars.

Antipodes
18.06.2013, 21:15
Bumping this thread to see if anyone can provide a suggestion other than throwing away two power bars.

The only possible standard thing I can think of is that the sockets may be set ON for profilux failure.
Can't remember where to set that up.

I did have a similar issue at one time to you and ended up resetting quite a few things to get it cleaned up. Couple of years ago, so can't quite remember what I did! But I am still using those plug bars, so must have cleared the error!

However, try keeping them plugged in to warm them up and drive any possible moisture of the IC's, that may recover it, if it is indeed a moisture issue?

If not, surely your local GHL seller can help??

GHL Support
19.06.2013, 13:44
@CaptCrash: can you please post screenshots of the relevant settings (socket functions etc.)?