PDA

View Full Version : Dimmable powerbar for variable speed return pumps?

dipan
13.08.2009, 22:43
Has anyone tested the dimmable powerbar on AC return pumps to see if pump rate can be controlled? I might just have to order one to find out, but was curious if anyone has tried it ...

Also, are the two sockets on the dimmable powerbar independently controllable/dimmable?

larryfl1
13.08.2009, 23:55
i am curious on this one also...

Matthias
14.08.2009, 07:40
Has anyone tested the dimmable powerbar on AC return pumps to see if pump rate can be controlled? I might just have to order one to find out, but was curious if anyone has tried it ...

this depends on the motor type of the pump (usually the manufacturer should be able to tell you if it will work or not) - maybe someone here can share his experience with dimming of a pump?

Also, are the two sockets on the dimmable powerbar independently controllable/dimmable?
yes

dipan
14.08.2009, 07:51
Thanks Matthias ... I'm not sure the manufacturers of the common pumps like Reeflo's will be willing to say that it will work. I'm just curious if there is any firsthand experience ...

Coralleida
15.08.2009, 00:52
I've tried several pumps, but the dimming process fails: Sicce, Aqua Bee. I've alse tried non variable Tunze pumps (like 6045).
It depends on the engine of the pump.
For example (what I've tried) it works on:

Fans
Ozonisators
Nearly everything it works at 12-24V

aqua_digital
15.08.2009, 09:43
When you say works on 12-24v do you mean items that work on 12-24v DC i.e through an AC to DC voltage converter?

For example GHL fan breeze?

Coralleida
15.08.2009, 20:38
Yes they work on GHL Propellerbreeze, but for that you have the PropellerControl

aqua_digital
16.08.2009, 08:58
I was using the GHL fan as a basic example of a AC/DC 12v devise that could be controlled.

So it sounds like devises that run through DC converters will work, this means all sorts of new devises could be controlled. I will do some testing in the next month so everything is clear and then let the dealers I supply know.

Matthias
17.08.2009, 07:23
switching voltage regulators, like most AC/DC-converters, can not be dimmed with a dimmer (here: the dimmable powerbar) - in the worst case the converter will be destroyed!

you can dim standard (conventional) transformators (with coils) or electronic transformators which are allowed to be dimmed (this is mentioned in the manual or printed on the device)!