PDA

View Full Version : pH calibration

jack
12.08.2009, 15:58
Hi all,

I observe there are three kind of calibration fluids pH4.0, pH7.0 and pH9.0.
I read the ProfiLuxII manual and the manual point out the standard calibration at pH 4.0 and 7.0.
Now, I want to order calibration fluids for calibrate pH.
Should I order three kind of calibration fluids or I only need pH4.0 and pH7.0?:confused:
My tank is saltwater tank.

Thank you for your help.:)
Jack

Micha578
12.08.2009, 16:04
Hi!
You can use the calibration fluids 4, 7 or 9. You must use two of them and u can use the third to check the Profilux after calibration.

You can also set the Profilux to an other value, if you have a calibration fluid e.g. 6,5 or something.

Chew
13.08.2009, 19:16
For most accurate results you should use the 2 that are either side of the range you want to use the probe in. For example if you are using it to measure the pH of your marine tank then you will be measuring values around 8.2 and so use the 7 and 9 calibration solutions. If its for use in a calcium reactor then they normally run between a pH of 6 and 6.5 so use the 4 and 7 solutions.

larryfl1
15.08.2009, 15:44
speaking of calibration i have a question....

the manual says to dry the probe via air... if i let the probe sit out and dry will that damage it?

do we need to dry it?

then the other question..does everyone pour some calibration solution in seperate cups not to conatiminate? should i rinse with di water inbetween and let dry again?

Coralleida
15.08.2009, 20:44
The best way to calibrate:

Rinse the probe with osmotic water
Let ir dry (air or using a smooth paper)
Pour on a little of the first calibration fluid in a clean recipient
Calibrate the first value
Rinse again the probe with osmotic water
Pour on a little of the second calibration fluid in a clean recipient
Let it dry again
Calibrate the second calue
Clean carefully both recipients you've been using, and keep them dry
Do not use again the fluids you've used to avoid errors or contamination